Thread poster: Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Germany
Local time: 13:43
Member (2006)
German to English
Nov 21, 2003

I have 15 Word documents which appear quite normal, except that the Word word count function does not seem to work nor does "Alles markieren". My problem is that when I try to use Trados I just get a strange smybol in the middle of the word I put the cursor on after pressing Trados's "Öffnen/ Einfügen" button and nothing else - no error message but also nothing in the source or target windows. Trados does, however, successfully carry out an analysis of these documents.

If I manual
... See more
I have 15 Word documents which appear quite normal, except that the Word word count function does not seem to work nor does "Alles markieren". My problem is that when I try to use Trados I just get a strange smybol in the middle of the word I put the cursor on after pressing Trados's "Öffnen/ Einfügen" button and nothing else - no error message but also nothing in the source or target windows. Trados does, however, successfully carry out an analysis of these documents.

If I manually highlight all the text (which appears to be in some sort of table) but leave out the logos and headings and put it in a new Word document, the missing functions then work and I can translate it using Trados. However Word seems to change the font and I do not have the original font (a company-own one), therefore I cannot solve the problem this way

Any ideas? All help gratefully received
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Protected document? Nov 21, 2003

Hi Louise,
Have you checked if the documents are protected (in the German version of Word, this is under Extras - Dokumentschutz aufheben)?

HTH, Ralf

Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
could be it Nov 21, 2003

Thanks Ralf, that could be it. I have just tried the "Dokumentschutz aufheben" and was asked for a password so it seems like you've hit the nail on the head. I've just mailed the client for the password. Let's see...

Ana Gomez Lopez
Ana Gomez Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
the same problem Nov 21, 2003

Thanks for asking this question I have the same problem and I will try these answers, Kisses Ana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't seem to use Trados with certain Word documents

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »