Importing JP - EN glossary into MultiTerm
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:13
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 3, 2003

I am trying to import my excel Jap>Eng glossary into MultiTerm, but after saving it as tab delimited text (.txt) I see only question marks instead of Japanese characters. What can be the problem?

Actually adding a single entry in Japanese to MultiTerm is also a problem: this is the first time I try to use it for Japanese.
What options should I check or change for settling this?

Thanks in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2011-02-12 21:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxPT Translati
United States
Local time: 00:13
Japanese to English
Can anyone help? Feb 10, 2011

This original question is from 2003, but I'm having the EXACT same problem.

Can someone help me with this (step by step)?

1. I've had no problems importing glossaries before.
2. I tried copying to wordpad, saving it in unicod; then starting the process over.

xxxPT Translati
United States
Local time: 00:13
Japanese to English
False alarm & dummy instructions for future use Feb 10, 2011

False alarm. Got it figured out.

Here is the ultra dummy (like me) version, in case someone finds this thread in a search in the future.

1. Open your Japanese glossary (excel file)

2. If you haven't already, make sure there are only only two columns with contents (the source and target). Like...

うざい annoying

3. Go to the bottom and keep only one tab, delete all other tabs (excel asks if you only want active tab when you save, but might as well remove it on your own before saving, in case this causes issues).

4. Go to Save as>scroll down to "unicode text *.txt">save it where you will remember it

5. BEFORE messing with Wordfast, try opening your new .txt file now. If it still shows questions marks, STOP, and go do it again. If it shows "???" at this point, it's going to be the same when you import into WF.

6. In Wordfast, terminology>import>"browse" to find yourfile>ok....should be easy from there.

....and my love/hate relationship with CAT continues

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing JP - EN glossary into MultiTerm

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs