Mobile menu

Trados V6 - how best to work with agencies using V3 or V5.5?
Thread poster: ignobis
ignobis
Spain
Local time: 14:23
German to Spanish
Dec 5, 2003

Hi everybody!

I'm a translator from German into Spanish (I hope not to make too many mistakes by writing in English, please excuse me if I do so). I wonder if I should't have bought Trados 6 (previously I worked with Trados 3 or Transit XV), because now I only can send my translations to those agencies which use Trados 3 or 5.5 by exporting my TM (in fact, I think many of them have decided not to buy the latest versions, due to their prices and the "short life" of Trados 5.5). And now Trados 6.5! I bought Trados 6 in Juni! And I'd have to pay again for it, if I wanted to buy!
I'd like to ask you two questions:
- Do you think I could install again Trados 3 and work with both without having troubles? (Perhaps Trados sellers do have a trick to avoid this, once you have bought Trados 6, since I had to actualize it)
- Do you think I could receive less jobs because of this issue?

Thank you very much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Concurrent use Dec 5, 2003

Hi "ignobis",
I wonder if I should't have bought Trados 6 (previously I worked with Trados 3 or Transit XV), because now I only can send my translations to those agencies which use Trados 3 or 5.5 by exporting my TM (in fact, I think many of them have decided not to buy the latest versions, due to their prices and the "short life" of Trados 5.5).

Exporting is the proper way of exchanging data anyway, unless you send them pre-cleanup files, in which case the version used to work on the file is irrelevant.

And now Trados 6.5! I bought Trados 6 in Juni! And I'd have to pay again for it, if I wanted to buy!

Bear in mind that 6.5 offers some new functions, particularly the ability to use TagEditor on Excel and PowerPoint. But then, nobody forces you to upgrade, right?

I'd like to ask you two questions:
Do you think I could install again Trados 3 and work with both without having troubles? (Perhaps Trados sellers do have a trick to avoid this, once you have bought Trados 6, since I had to actualize it)

Why would they even want to avoid it? You can only use one license at a time - AFAIK there's no problem in using T3, T5/5.5 and T6 on the same machine. The only thing you must observe is that you need to register each application before using (in this context, registering means adapting your system registry because certain components need to be registered there for the software to work properly. T6 has an item in the program group; for T3, search for the 'self_register.bat' file in the installation directory.

Do you think I could receive less jobs because of this issue?

Can't imagine why you should - I use T6 LSP and will upgrade to 6.5 as soon as I get the CD & dongle upgrade. At the same time, I work with a number of freelancers who use T5.5. That's no problem whatsoever, since they deliver pre-cleanup Word files or .ttx files.

HTH, Ralf

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
We told you so !! Dec 5, 2003

How many times ?

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Don't use Trados 3 with later Versions on the same machine Dec 5, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

... You can only use one license at a time - AFAIK there's no problem in using T3, T5/5.5 and T6 on the same machine. The only thing you must observe is that you need to register each application before using (in this context, registering means adapting your system registry because certain components need to be registered there for the software to work properly. T6 has an item in the program group; for T3, search for the 'self_register.bat' file in the installation directory....

Hello,

we have had much problems with using some tools on machines which equiped with Trados 3 and 5. Often the connection between Workbench and TagEditor was corrupted. There is no really cause to install the older versions of Trados together with the new ones.

Hans

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
English to French
Told you so too Dec 6, 2003

Say, Ralf, remember that argument we had about Trados encrypting and changing TM encryption at each upgrade to prevent direct compatibility with other tools and versions?

Sylver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados V6 - how best to work with agencies using V3 or V5.5?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs