Powerpoint with embedded Excel tables: Wordfast?
Thread poster: sylvie malich

sylvie malich
Germany
Local time: 21:10
German to English
Dec 8, 2003

Dearest Prozians,

I have just been assigned a Powerpoint File with embedded Excel tables within a number of the slides, due tomorrow evening.

Can Wordfast handle this without any problems? (I am hoping for an affirmative answer or at least a workaround.)

TIA,
sylvie

[Edited at 2003-12-08 17:31]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Embedded Office files Dec 8, 2003

No. Wordfast can't handle this. Translate the Excel files outside of PowerPoint - with Wordfast.

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2003-12-08 18:00]

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Gerard Dec 8, 2003

How does this work? Do I start working on the ppt with Wordfast until I get to the embedded excel page and then stop translation and switch modes and open another file with Wordfast and translate the excels, then stop translation and go back to the ppt file....

sylvie

Gerard de Noord wrote:

No. Wordfast can't handle this. Translate the Excel files outside of PowerPoint - with Wordfast.

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2003-12-08 18:00]

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast and excel Dec 8, 2003

Okay, I've started experimenting with Wordfast and translating the embedded excel files by opening the embedded excel from out of the ppt (right click, open) then opening a Word file and translating with Wordfast but this isn't working. (Word 2000, licensed version Wordfast, excel 2000)

Is this what Gerard meant by translating them outside with Wordfast? There are about 12 of these files and I actually wanted to leave them for tomorrow but I'm getting nervous already.

sniff,
sylvie

... Okay, someone on the Wordfast forum just suggested to make a copy of the excel file, translate it and then reintegrate the file into ppt. Is this an option? Maybe somebody can tell me how to reintegrate the file back into ppt. (I just edit them, I don't build 'em)

[Edited at 2003-12-08 19:49]

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Try copy-pasting it all Dec 8, 2003

sylvie malich wrote:

... Okay, someone on the Wordfast forum just suggested to make a copy of the excel file, translate it and then reintegrate the file into ppt. Is this an option? Maybe somebody can tell me how to reintegrate the file back into ppt. (I just edit them, I don't build 'em)

Sylvie, try copying all contents of the embedded Excel table (double-click to enter it and then select all and copy) and pasting it into an empty Excel file. Then translate this file using Wordfast. After translation copy-paste it back into the embedded file.

In theory, this should work (and I think I did this once). However, try it first => copy-paste from PPT, translate a few segments, and copy-paste back to PPT to see what happens.

Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 22:10
English to Estonian
+ ...
I think Gerard assumed that you have the separate Excel file available Dec 8, 2003

If you did, you could translate it via Excel-Word connection, update the linked tables in PPt, and then do the rest in PPt.

Since you don't, you presumably have to translate the embedded objects manually. Other methods would be too complicated.

(I have no experience translating embedded objects myself, so I can't be of more help here).

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update - Praise for Wordfast! Dec 9, 2003

I want to report that I've been working on this project and Wordfast is a dream to work with.

In effect my first guess was right -- all I am doing is right clicking on the embedded excel file, opening it and then creating a separate word document (each time, this is important or it won't work) and translating with Wordfast, then updating the excel file, then closing it.

Being as most of the files have turned out to be almost identical except for the figures, I am going to be able to turn in this project 3 hours early.

So it can be done!

[Edited at 2003-12-10 08:21]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint with embedded Excel tables: Wordfast?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums