Problems with Trados 5.5: where is my file???
Thread poster: Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:27
German to Italian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2004

Good morning everybody!

I was doing a short translation using Trados 5.5 freelance and then, after cleaning it up, I just lost my .doc file!

At the end of the clean up, I could read a sentence like "the system threw an exeception". After that, the only things left were 2 files, a .BAK file and a .tmp file.

I've already searched the whole system, but could find nothing. Can anyone help me? Does anyone know where my .doc file could be or how I could get it ba
... See more
Good morning everybody!

I was doing a short translation using Trados 5.5 freelance and then, after cleaning it up, I just lost my .doc file!

At the end of the clean up, I could read a sentence like "the system threw an exeception". After that, the only things left were 2 files, a .BAK file and a .tmp file.

I've already searched the whole system, but could find nothing. Can anyone help me? Does anyone know where my .doc file could be or how I could get it back?

Thanks to you all!
Claudia
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word crashed and did not save the file Jan 7, 2004

Your previos (uncleaned) *.doc is the *.bak now. If you rename it back to *.doc, you´ll be able to open it in Word.
In Word then pres ALT+F8, select the tw4winClean.Main macro and let it run.
Your file will be cleaned up, so all what you need is to save it at the end of the process.
Some restrictions must be observed: to clean up footer or header you must open them and clean each of them separately (ie let those macro run inside of them). If your document contains more section
... See more
Your previos (uncleaned) *.doc is the *.bak now. If you rename it back to *.doc, you´ll be able to open it in Word.
In Word then pres ALT+F8, select the tw4winClean.Main macro and let it run.
Your file will be cleaned up, so all what you need is to save it at the end of the process.
Some restrictions must be observed: to clean up footer or header you must open them and clean each of them separately (ie let those macro run inside of them). If your document contains more sections, be sure you have cleaned all headers/footers in all sections, as they are not necessarily connected/the same. You will also need to clean up any text box separately, if there are any.
And please keep in mind, that in this way your TM will not be updated! In this particular case this is no problem, as you have allready updated your TM in your previosu attemt to clean up. But for future purposes if using this macro you have to pay attention, that any changes made in the document are made in that way, that TM ist updated simultaneously.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Claudia Mattaliano
Claudia Mattaliano  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you sooo much! Jan 7, 2004

Now everything is clear!!

Have a nice day!
Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Trados 5.5: where is my file???

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »