How do I recover a project with Idiom 9?
Thread poster: Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:30
English to Greek
+ ...
Jul 4, 2010

Hi all,

Please help me to find the work I've done in the past one hour otherwise I'll break my PC(((
I am new to Idiom 9. A guy showed me the basics, and explained me that there is no need to do any "save" in Idiom as the program itself saves everything.

I was doing a review for about 1+ hour and suddenly without closing anything, I put my PC into sleep for 2 minutes. When I re-started it from the s
... See more
Hi all,

Please help me to find the work I've done in the past one hour otherwise I'll break my PC(((
I am new to Idiom 9. A guy showed me the basics, and explained me that there is no need to do any "save" in Idiom as the program itself saves everything.

I was doing a review for about 1+ hour and suddenly without closing anything, I put my PC into sleep for 2 minutes. When I re-started it from the sleep mode, it wouldn't open, After forced restart, I realized that everything was in place, all my programs were still open and even my browser was showing the pages I was reading before going into "sleep". Anyway, I closed Idiom by clicking in the right upper corner the symbol X and that was it!!!

I lost everything. Idiom did not save anything for 1 hour.

My specs are as follows:
Windows 7
Office 2002
Idiom Worldserver 9.

thank you all in advance
Collapse

Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:30
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy from Idiom Help file Jul 4, 2010

I also found this in the program's help:

"Desktop Workbench automatically saves all changes you make to a segment as soon as you leave the segment. That is why there is no Save command. "

But this does not make sense, because if you review a file for 1 hour you'll certainly "leave a lot of segments" which means that my file should have been saved approx. 65 times.

thanks

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:30
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I fell for the same moronic stuff. Jul 4, 2010

Evdoxia Renta wrote:

I also found this in the program's help:

"Desktop Workbench automatically saves all changes you make to a segment as soon as you leave the segment. That is why there is no Save command. "

But this does not make sense, because if you review a file for 1 hour you'll certainly "leave a lot of segments" which means that my file should have been saved approx. 65 times.

thanks

When I started with Idiom. Hahaha. Very funny, I lost about 6000 words. Since then I keep exporting and exporting and exporting every minute. Because I will never forget that nightshift from hell that followed that day.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:30
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
BTW, there might be another possibility Jul 4, 2010

Evdoxia Renta wrote:

My specs are as follows:
Windows 7
Office 2002
Idiom Worldserver 9.

Two weeks ago, I was about to deliver a finished translation to my client. While looking for the file to be attached - the file had vanished entirely! I ran the finder 4 times, it was gone. I even searched by date - nothing. It was like no work whatsoever had happened on this date. Finally I decided to restart the computer (same specs as yours). A miracle! There it was. Not to mention a new ulcer. It must have been a Windows problem.

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 11:30
Spanish to French
+ ...
Found in another forum... Jul 5, 2010

In a discussion from back in 2008, a poster gave this user group address:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldServerDesktopWorkbench/
You might find it useful.

When you open a project for the first time, Idiom opens an invite to enter the location where it will save three different files (file to translate, TM and termbase, if my memory does not
... See more
In a discussion from back in 2008, a poster gave this user group address:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldServerDesktopWorkbench/
You might find it useful.

When you open a project for the first time, Idiom opens an invite to enter the location where it will save three different files (file to translate, TM and termbase, if my memory does not fail me).
You might want to check what Idiom had by default so you can start by looking in those folders.

Other links that may help:
http://www.sdl.com/en/products/translation-management/worldserver/default.asp
http://www.sdl.com/en/products/translation-management/worldserver/worldserver-desktop-workbench-download.asp
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I recover a project with Idiom 9?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »