Thread poster: Evangelion (X)
Evangelion (X)
Evangelion (X)
Mozambique
Local time: 13:30
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2010

I'd like my reviewer to correct my translation using my TMX outcome - the text has extremely many repetitions. It's obviously pointless to print/send thousands of pages of documentation to read, when actually only ~10% of it are unique sentences. I've got them all in a TMX, I can read them using eg. Heartsome TMX Editor. I'd like to export them into some plain text file (preferably a table) that the guy can read in MS Word or whatever old software he prefers and that I can mark some terms in col... See more
I'd like my reviewer to correct my translation using my TMX outcome - the text has extremely many repetitions. It's obviously pointless to print/send thousands of pages of documentation to read, when actually only ~10% of it are unique sentences. I've got them all in a TMX, I can read them using eg. Heartsome TMX Editor. I'd like to export them into some plain text file (preferably a table) that the guy can read in MS Word or whatever old software he prefers and that I can mark some terms in colour. Any way to do that, without the need to train him in the idea of TMX and using related software?Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:30
English to Spanish
Use Stingray to save as CSV Sep 7, 2010

Hi,

You can open your TMX file with Stingray, remove all duplicates and export it as CSV.

Word can open the CSV output as plain text. You can also open the CSV in Excel and do the review there.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Apsic Xbench Sep 7, 2010

free

[Редактировалось 2010-09-07 16:18 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:30
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Exactly Sep 7, 2010

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
Apsic Xbench

Install Xbench, open TMX with the remove duplicates option checked, export from Xbench as tab delimited txt, open resulting file, copy-paste into spreadsheet.

Evangelion (X)
Evangelion (X)
Mozambique
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked like a charm Sep 7, 2010

And got the job done. I keep underestimating (or simply: not knowing) Xbench. Thanks!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:30
English to Thai
+ ...
WordFast, SDLX and Trados Sep 8, 2010

WordFast, SDLX and Trados have TMX export function to *.txt file. You can edit this *.txt file directly without destroying tag codings. And import it again as a TM for CATs you like.

Soonthon Lpkitaro

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Formats Sep 8, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

WordFast, SDLX and Trados have TMX export function to *.txt file. You can edit this *.txt file directly without destroying tag codings. And import it again as a TM for CATs you like.

I don't see how this advice is useful. For starters, "TMX eport to txt" makes no sense at all, there is no such feature. There is TMX import and txt export, which you can daisy-chain, but that's not a particularly useful thing to do here.
TMX is a text (XML) format to begin with. Put simply, if you import a TMX into trados and export into Trados' own txt format, all you've done is painstakingly convert the TM from one tagged txt format into another very slightly different tagged txt format. You made zero progress towards anything useful.
Of course it's possible to take a trados txt and manually convert it to a tab delimited txt, just like it is possible to do the same with the original TMX. Both take a lot more time and expertise than going through xbench, which the OP had already done and reported on when you posted.
Perhaps it would be useful to consider how useful your contribution will be before you post.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast Sep 8, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

I don't see how this advice is useful. For starters, "TMX eport to txt" makes no sense at all, there is no such feature. There is TMX import and txt export, which you can daisy-chain, but that's not a particularly useful thing to do here.

Import a tmx file into Wordfast and you obtain a text tab-delimited TM within 5 seconds. This one can be read into Excel and all unnecessary colums can be removed (some other 5 seconds).

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
My preference Sep 8, 2010

NMR wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

Import a tmx file into Wordfast and you obtain a text tab-delimited TM within 5 seconds. This one can be read into Excel and all unnecessary colums can be removed (some other 5 seconds).

Among my recommendations above, I prefer WordFast Classic +TMX --> Export to tab-delimited TM--> [In Word+tab-delimited TM] Change Text to Table. Reason: Word is the best to edit TM for your reviewer who is unlikely to be familiar with CAT tools.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-09-08 15:22 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wordfast != Trados Sep 8, 2010

Among my recommendations above, I prefer WordFast Classic +TMX --> Export to tab-delimited TM--> [In Word+tab-delimited TM] Change Text to Table. Reason: Word is the best to edit TM for your reviewer who is unlikely to be familiar with CAT tools.

Small correction: among your recommendations above, wordfast classic is not the preferred one, it's the only feasible one. In my previous post, I replied to the Trados suggestion which obviously won't work, and I forgot that WF classic's native TM format is actually tab separated so it works out. (Didn't Wordfast Pro switch to a different TM format though, or did I just make that up?)

By the way, the reason you give makes no sense to me. There are a couple of different ways of generating a tab delimited file from a TMX, some of which were discussed here. The only thing that's common in them is that they all produce the same tab delimited txt you can dump into Word or Excel so it makes no difference what route you choose.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
No Sep 8, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:
Didn't Wordfast Pro switch to a different TM format though, or did I just make that up?)

WF Pro has its own file format (txml), but uses the same TMs (tab delimited text files). So you can easily switch between the two applications without changing anything in the TM. However, WF Pro adds tags in the segments, so sometimes the 100% matches are lower matches when switching from the one to the other.

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
WordFast Classic Sep 9, 2010

NMR wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
Didn't Wordfast Pro switch to a different TM format though, or did I just make that up?)

WF Pro has its own file format (txml), but uses the same TMs (tab delimited text files). So you can easily switch between the two applications without changing anything in the TM. However, WF Pro adds tags in the segments, so sometimes the 100% matches are lower matches when switching from the one to the other.

Among many and many professional CAT users, opening a native TMX format TM in WFC/WFP (quite easy!) is not generally known since it is not clearly explained in the user manual (I already posted in many webboards). This can be confused if we discuss about creating a *.txt file out of TMX.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMX export into plain text

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »