CAT_tool_fusion: a new discussion group at yahoo
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 06:58
English to German
+ ...
Feb 11, 2004

This is a small announcement of introducing a new discussion group at yahoo.

ref.
[email protected]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:58
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
We have a Fusion forum on the site Feb 12, 2004

S.R. Bandi wrote:

ref. [email protected]

I wonder what is the point of starting a mailing list dedicated to Fusion, when we have already a dedicated forum on this site, and two developers at hand for any question and information?

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-02-12 09:23]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
was a wrong idea, I have realized later, Feb 12, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

S.R. Bandi wrote:

ref. [email protected]

I wonder what is the point of starting a mailing list dedicated to Fusion, when we have already a dedicated forum on this site, and two developers at hand for any question and information?

Gianfranco

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fusion forum Feb 12, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

S.R. Bandi wrote:

ref. [email protected]

Gianfranco

Hi! I looked for it, where is it, under CAT or techsupport. I couldn´t find. Brandis

Eric Pham-dinh
Eric Pham-dinh
United States
Local time: 22:58
English to French
Reply: Fusion Forum Feb 12, 2004

Dear Brandis,

The Fusion Forums, Fusion and Fusion Support are in the Translation/CAT tools forum section. There must be a problem if you don't see them. I am looking into this and will get back to you shortly.

Eric Pham-dinh
Fusion Team

[Edited at 2004-02-12 15:09]

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:58
SITE STAFF
Fusion forum now available to all who have downloaded Feb 12, 2004

The Fusion forums, formerly restricted, are now available to all members who have downloaded Fusion. These two forums are available in the main forum list under the Translation/CAT Tools category.

The Fusion Support forum can be found here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/64

Regards,

jg

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Some Questions Feb 12, 2004

hello,

Before I install Fusion I have some questions:

Can you tell me what differences exist between Fusion and the other CAT programs?
Or what is new?

It is still a beta version? Can I install it without fear to break my system? or are we tester?

There is a "Satellite" version like in Transit, SDLX, Passolo, etc.?

And the last question is the price, it is not too high for a freelance translator in a world where agencies
... See more
hello,

Can you tell me what differences exist between Fusion and the other CAT programs?
Or what is new?

It is still a beta version? Can I install it without fear to break my system? or are we tester?

And the last question is the price, it is not too high for a freelance translator in a world where agencies pay less and less?

Thks
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
perfect integration Feb 12, 2004

Toledo wrote:

hello,

Or what is new?

And the last question is the price, it is not too high for a freelance translator in a world where agencies pay less and less?

Thks
Hi! for a long time, I was buying and using various ( never counted though) CAT-tools, free or shareware, to execute various functions as requested by the outsourcer. There was also a time, where the outsourcer wanted me to download large files from his ftp site, as my mailbox was limited, now I can tell him to get hold of Fusion, then I would see him going online ( atleast for the project duration) organize the filetransfer etc., clarify demands online,(protocol all sametime). Then again there was this price fight Trados Quality, Trados match ( now we have Fusionmatch which is more transparent), in the reality the outsourcers have made a habit of Singing trados over the telephone and kill the price through some stupid match (again done by the outsourcer) with argument, we use trados match, very good, only often to find they were using Trados to kill translator´s price, the actual file I recd. was even worse, it was a comple raw and unprocessed file.Fusion does all that what Trados does and more. As already discussed in the other forum, it gives you seamless integration in Dataexchange, your backoffice being your workbench ( the translate Utility), there is Kudos integration, terms / teams integration, you might even clearup troubles via a small online chat, and offers perfect terminology swapping of local, published and other Online Dics. Personally I even have integrated Dragon speech formy purpose.Price factor being presently secondary, many of purchased Trados hoping to advertise for better earning, of which few even lost regular outsourcer ( a few older postings at proz, I do not understand why?) Earlier I was switching between 2 or 4 if not 6 browsing windows to achieve certain performance when it came to bidding or communicating with the outsourcer, or with colleagues or etc., now I have but only one. True with all these features and more the real translation still has to be done by the translator himself. Whereas the Trados or SDLX or other expensive popular products supply Termlibraries at additional price, Fusion does a very simple and immediate online integration job, and it does not need 10 years of Trados logo (I know many who are not happy with other tools but were forced to get hold of them, you should see few of these 10 year trados people, they sometimes look and sound pre-historical - some idiot had also said " If it were not for Trados Moses wouldn´t have been able to decipher those 10 commandments to bring to the world) you are up and running within 30 min if not 1 hour.In todays context Fusion is the only tool of this kind without match, people will forget Wordfast (even that had needed addtional templates -separate buy and or personal development - for project management. But Fusion has no integrated Billing facility, There is one for Wordfast. All in all Fusion as one and single tool, has few such elegant features compared to some or any CAT-tools
brandis

[Edited at 2004-02-13 01:53]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Price factor Feb 13, 2004

Toledo wrote:

hello,

Or what is new?

Thks
Hi! Since this is a beta version, with all those mentioned features, making this tool so unique. I haven´t thought of the price factor. Compared with Trados, SDLX, CATYLYST ( on an average around 1000,- dollars and more and these are standalone applicaitons) where the price could sometimes reach astronomical figures USD 3500,-, one has to assess one´s own limitaions and assess the situation for oneself.brandis
where did you get my yahooad
brandis

Eric Pham-dinh
Eric Pham-dinh
United States
Local time: 22:58
English to French
Reply: Some Question Feb 13, 2004

Dear Toledo,

There are a few differences between Fusion and other tools. These differences may vary when compared to a specific tool.

For example, Fusion Translate gives you a terminology extraction and possible translation generation tool in this “freelance” version. Using Fusion, you can search TMs and receive exact, fuzzy and expression matches. When TMs are created from translated documents, the context of each TU is preserved and you have access to this co
... See more
Dear Toledo,

There are a few differences between Fusion and other tools. These differences may vary when compared to a specific tool.

For example, Fusion Translate gives you a terminology extraction and possible translation generation tool in this “freelance” version. Using Fusion, you can search TMs and receive exact, fuzzy and expression matches. When TMs are created from translated documents, the context of each TU is preserved and you have access to this context.

You can open and access multiple TM and Dictionary at the same time. There is virtually no real limit to the size of TMs and Dictionary files you can create. You never need to rebuild TMs.

When creating TM files from translated documents, you do not need to verify the alignment of your TUs. When you are translating in MS Word, if Fusion sends you a misalign TU, you can then correct the alignment on the fly. Instead of spending a large amount of time verifying TU alignments, begin translating and when you need a TU that is misalign, then you correct the alignment. You can leverage all your previously translated documents in a matter of hours.

In addition, you have access to Fusion Collaborate which enables you to create translation groups over the Internet, share file for search and download, search Internet sites (MT and Dictionaries), KudoZ archives, post on KudoZ and search TMs and Dictionary files that are shared with you from clients, co-workers, directly from Microsoft Word.

And there is more...

Fusion Translate is not in Beta. It has completed an extended beta program. There was over 50 beta users (independent translators, translation companies and translation clients) who used and installed Fusion without causing any problems to their systems. Fusion Collaborate is completing the beta program and has been installed and used by the same users mentioned above without causing any problems to their systems.

Regarding the price, Fusion comprises 2 software products and the present LIMITED TIME offer on ProZ.com includes the following:

- A license to use Fusion Translate and Fusion Collaborate (as long as you respect the EULA - End-user license agreement)
- Technical Support for as long as you use Fusion
- Updates and new versions of Fusion Translate and Fusion Collaborate (freelance products). This means that all migration to new versions and updates are included.

We believe that this LIMITED TIME offer on ProZ.com is of great value.

Thank you for downloading Fusion. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Eric Pham-dinh
Fusion Team
Collapse

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Same thought... Feb 13, 2004

Toledo wrote:

I made a similar consideration:

http://www.proz.com/topic/18312?start=15

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
various angles Feb 13, 2004

langnet wrote:

Toledo wrote:

I made a similar consideration:

http://www.proz.com/topic/18312?start=15[/quote]Hi! personally in my current situation it is expensive, but on the otherside I can´t let this beautiful tool be. But I have 90 days to pool up the sum, I am sure I would buy it, due to the fact that I could convert almost all my dict a volume of around 250000 entries only in medical and various others amounting to more than a million words just in 3 days since I had downloaded. Earlier it really took weeks, but now it is a matter of hours max. 2 days and I was through. A performance of this kind is an experience by itself. That would be my reason to buy. May be one could reserve the version today to be paid in 90 days. That should be possible.
Regards,
brandis

[Edited at 2004-02-13 10:46]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't access that forum Feb 16, 2004

Jason Grimes wrote:
The Fusion Support forum can be found here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/64[/quote]

I only get a dropdown list of all the forums in it. Are you sure about the URL?

[Edited at 2004-02-16 08:08]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good idea! Feb 16, 2004

S.R. Bandi wrote:
[email protected][/quote]

Good idea! A Yahoogroup has many advantages over a Proz.com forum. I wish you luck!

[Edited at 2004-02-16 08:08]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
follow this link Feb 16, 2004

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

S.R. Bandi wrote:
[email protected]

Good idea! A Yahoogroup has many advantages over a Proz.com forum. I wish you luck!

[Edited at 2004-02-16 08:08][/quote]Hi! This forum has presently very few members, but lots of inquiries have landed in other groups, I wonder why. But the link is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAT_tool_fusion/
Hope that helps
brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT_tool_fusion: a new discussion group at yahoo

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »