https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/18675-tables_in_wordfile.html

Tables in Wordfile
Thread poster: Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:57
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 23, 2004

Hello

When I try translating (using Trados 5.5 freelance) a word file containing a table (on the left source language and on the right the translation), Trados divides the table in the normal way (source on top, translation next segment).
Is it possible to keep the layout of the Word doc?
Thanks in advance!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have to format text in the left columnt as "Do_not_translate" Feb 23, 2004

First copy the source text from the left column into the right column.
Then format the text in the left column ie with the style "tw4winExternal". This will prevent Trados from opening segments in the left column, but it will only open them in the right column.

Other possibility, perhaps even easier. Create a copy of your source file, with an ending for your target language. Translate just the left column (if the right is not empty, make it empty), and then copy the translatio
... See more
First copy the source text from the left column into the right column.
Then format the text in the left column ie with the style "tw4winExternal". This will prevent Trados from opening segments in the left column, but it will only open them in the right column.

Other possibility, perhaps even easier. Create a copy of your source file, with an ending for your target language. Translate just the left column (if the right is not empty, make it empty), and then copy the translation into the right column in the original file.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Channa Montijn
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps I gave the wrong example Feb 23, 2004

First of all, thank you Jerzy for your reply. The Word doc contains two tables: on the left the source text and on the right a empty table in which the translated text has to be.
When I open a segment, Trados does open the segment, but there is no way to put the translated text on the right side (or in the right table).
In short: Trados works vertical and it should be horizontal in this case.
I do hope you understand what I mean (I am sorry I can not make any clearer.
A
... See more
First of all, thank you Jerzy for your reply. The Word doc contains two tables: on the left the source text and on the right a empty table in which the translated text has to be.
When I open a segment, Trados does open the segment, but there is no way to put the translated text on the right side (or in the right table).
In short: Trados works vertical and it should be horizontal in this case.
I do hope you understand what I mean (I am sorry I can not make any clearer.
Again, thank you very much
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I did get what you want Feb 23, 2004

but you did not get what I meant.

There is NO WAY to force Trados to do so, as you wish.

Try the methods I proposed you.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Channa Montijn
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay... Feb 23, 2004

Thank you Jerzy. I'll give a try! I was already afraid I asked the impossible from Trados, but I just wondered if perhaps somebody encountered these sort of texts also.
Thanks again!-:))

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Tables Feb 23, 2004

I was already afraid I asked the impossible from Trados, but I just wondered if perhaps somebody encountered these sort of texts also.

Yes, sometimes I get this sort of texts too. I use the methods Jerzy suggested (the first one for Word files, the second one for Excel files).

Trados simply replaces the original with the translation. It doesn't know that you want to put the translation somewhere else.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same methods as Jerzy Feb 23, 2004

I regularly translate tables in Trados and I use the methods described by Jerzy too. If the original source segments are to stay in the documents, I give the first column a special style that specifies it is not to be translated and make a copy in the second column. Once it is clean, the table will have both, the source and the translation. The only thing left to do is change the special style to the one used in the document originally.

If you want the source followed by the transla
... See more
I regularly translate tables in Trados and I use the methods described by Jerzy too. If the original source segments are to stay in the documents, I give the first column a special style that specifies it is not to be translated and make a copy in the second column. Once it is clean, the table will have both, the source and the translation. The only thing left to do is change the special style to the one used in the document originally.

If you want the source followed by the translation in one cell, then the only way I can think of is by opening the segment and copying the source after which you add the translation (therefore not deleting the source sentence). This way, when you clean, you will have one on top of the other in each cell. You can add paragraph marks and such as symbols (under special characters).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tables in Wordfile

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »