Editing HTML files with SDLX - is the code modified?
Thread poster: Premier Focus
Premier Focus
Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:40
German to English
+ ...
Feb 23, 2004

Good morning everyone!

I was wondering if someone could fill me in on their experiences with editing HTML files from within SDLX. We currently have a client that is requesting to have HTML files edited. Our translator would
like to utilize SDLX for this extensive project.

My main concern is whether or not SDLX is in any way modifying these HTML files by inserting its own code or by modifying the code that is contained in the HTML files.

If you could
... See more
Good morning everyone!

I was wondering if someone could fill me in on their experiences with editing HTML files from within SDLX. We currently have a client that is requesting to have HTML files edited. Our translator would
like to utilize SDLX for this extensive project.

My main concern is whether or not SDLX is in any way modifying these HTML files by inserting its own code or by modifying the code that is contained in the HTML files.

If you could share your experiences with me, I'd be thankful.

Best regards,

Kerstin Kramer
www.PremierFocus.com
Collapse

French Locale
French Locale
Local time: 11:40
English to French
+ ...
SDLX Feb 23, 2004

Hello,

No need to worry about changes in the HTML code - SDLX handles this code perfectly. When you create an itd from SDLX, you often get 2 files, the one containing the text itself and another one (xxx_html_scr_FR.itd, for example) containing tags and sometimes menu items. In fact, I find SDLX much more convenient than Trados to deal with "complex" formats such as Html or FrameMaker.

Hope this answers your question. Good luck!

Véronique

[Edited at
... See more
Hello,

No need to worry about changes in the HTML code - SDLX handles this code perfectly. When you create an itd from SDLX, you often get 2 files, the one containing the text itself and another one (xxx_html_scr_FR.itd, for example) containing tags and sometimes menu items. In fact, I find SDLX much more convenient than Trados to deal with "complex" formats such as Html or FrameMaker.

Hope this answers your question. Good luck!

Véronique

[Edited at 2004-02-23 19:24]
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:40
English to German
Watch the character set, though Feb 24, 2004

I agree that SDLX handles HTML files perfectly well. I'd never use a different tool (if I have the choice, that is).

However, if there's a character set specified in the meta tags, you should extract the HTML files using the Convert module rather than the Project Wizard. This way, you can make sure that the correct character set will be used in the target files. Otherwise, the character set will be changed corresponding to the target language.
As far as I know, these would be
... See more
I agree that SDLX handles HTML files perfectly well. I'd never use a different tool (if I have the choice, that is).

However, if there's a character set specified in the meta tags, you should extract the HTML files using the Convert module rather than the Project Wizard. This way, you can make sure that the correct character set will be used in the target files. Otherwise, the character set will be changed corresponding to the target language.
As far as I know, these would be the only code parts SDLX would change without promptimg you.

Regards,
Stefan
Collapse

Premier Focus
Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:40
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WBF filter Feb 24, 2004

Good morning!

Thanks to all of you for your response. Someone told us that using the WBF filter in SDLX will make sure that no HTML code is being changed. We ran a test and that seems to be the case! I just wanted to pass this tip along to all of you.

Bye!

Kerstin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing HTML files with SDLX - is the code modified?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »