Thread poster: Margaret Montanaro
Margaret Montanaro
Margaret Montanaro  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:40
French to English
Jan 7, 2011

Hello,

I'm working in house for a client where we use Trados 2007. We have the Passolo 2007 essential version on our workstations and a project has come up where we may actually have the chance to use Passolo. I used it very briefly at school, but never since then and I'm not too familiar with it. I'm confident that I'll be able to translate in Passolo (I've tested it a bit), but I have a meeting coming up with the software engineer/project manager, and I have to explain what we can
... See more
Hello,

I'm working in house for a client where we use Trados 2007. We have the Passolo 2007 essential version on our workstations and a project has come up where we may actually have the chance to use Passolo. I used it very briefly at school, but never since then and I'm not too familiar with it. I'm confident that I'll be able to translate in Passolo (I've tested it a bit), but I have a meeting coming up with the software engineer/project manager, and I have to explain what we can do for them...here's where I need help! My main concerns:

- What source files can the Essential version handle? Is there a complete list of file extensions somewhere?

- Do I need to add all source files to my passolo project, or just those containing character strings to be translated? Once I have translated the files, and generated the target files, how do they need to be named/where do they need to be placed so the translated version of the software will run correctly?

- Can translations completed with the Essential version be uploaded to a Trados memory? I'm assuming they cannot, since I read this version does not allow you to export translations. If this is indeed the case, is there any other way to save/convert the data for future use (spreadsheet, for example)?

Any help/hints/links would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Maggie Montanaro
Collapse

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 04:40
English to German
Some hints Jan 17, 2011

Hello Maggie,

SDL Passolo Essential is coming with SDL Trados 2007. Compared with full version of Passolo it has a reduced feature set. After your meeting with the developers you have to decide if it fit your needs.

- The file formats that can be translated is limited. Win32 and Win64 binaries, .NET binaries and .NET RESX files can be translated.
- You only have to add the files with translatable content to the project. For .NET project it might be necessary to ha
... See more
Hello Maggie,

SDL Passolo Essential is coming with SDL Trados 2007. Compared with full version of Passolo it has a reduced feature set. After your meeting with the developers you have to decide if it fit your needs.

- The file formats that can be translated is limited. Win32 and Win64 binaries, .NET binaries and .NET RESX files can be translated.
- You only have to add the files with translatable content to the project. For .NET project it might be necessary to have referenced assemblies in the project scope. This ensures a proper visual localization.
- Naming conventions for .NET target files are following the MS standard, so the translated software can be tested right out-of-the-box. For Windows binaries you have to ask your developers. The naming convention can be implemented into a target path rule setup and applied to your Windows files.
- All the translations can be uploaded to a Trados memory. After establishing the connection to your Trados memory you can use this connection to pre-translate the software strings, to get fuzzy matches when interactively translating and you can store your translations (Ctrl+F10).

Hope this helps.

Achim
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File formats/options in Passolo 2007 Essential

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »