Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What's the best software for Batch Translation?
Thread poster: flarp
flarp
flarp
Local time: 18:46
Jan 7, 2011

I'm growing a bit desperate here. Preferably a free alternative, too.

I've tried the OOffice translators but they fail and can't do more than 1000 words or so.

The Microsoft Office ones also seem to have a limit, both the WordLingo and the Microsoft Translation services, can't seem to deal with more than 2000 words at a time.

I'm looking for something to translate a spreadsheet or a text document of 30,000 words. Am I asking for too much?

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:46
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
It's something new Jan 8, 2011

I know programs for batch files renaming. I know programs for batch files conversion. I know programs for batch image files resizing...

Software for batch translation? It's something new for both the world of batch operations and for the translation industry.

In my view:

1. such software doesn't make much sense
2. even if it exists it's not for a professional linguist

Nikita Kobrin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is it? Jan 8, 2011

jirimenzel wrote:
I've tried the OOffice translators but they fail and can't do more than 1000 words or so. ... The Microsoft Office ones also seem to have a limit, both the WordLingo and the Microsoft Translation services, can't seem to deal with more than 2000 words at a time.

I can't quite figure out what you mean by "batch translation". Can you give an example, or a URL?

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
30,000 words MT'ed at once? Jan 8, 2011

This is what I understood from the message of the OP.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:46
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Nikita Jan 8, 2011

I agree with Nikita. My immediate reaction was "Batch translation doesn't exist, or at least it is poor translation." There is one possible exception, which is where the source text is written in a controlled language, designed to be easy for machine translation. In such a situation, the writer (or the recipient of the source text) presumably already has the necessary MT facilities.
Oliver

flarp
flarp
TOPIC STARTER
red nosed gooses Jan 9, 2011

Just a word list, think microsoft excel and 30,000 rows of column A1.

Its my understanding stuff like trados sdl does this, but only if you feed ages of translating experience into it.

Just imagine a list of words, hundreds of thousands of words... and me wanting to do so without having to do them 500 or 1000 at a time...

What is my solution!?

Oh and as many languages as possible.

flarp
flarp
TOPIC STARTER
precision Jan 9, 2011

oh and thanks for the feedback, but still need a solution.

Precision isn't necessary, I'm not looking for grammar. I am however looking for something that'll translate ALL!!! the words and not be lazy and do nothing and copy it when a word isnt in the database! Just as long as the word looks polish, I'm happy, if i'm translating to polish.

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:46
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
The solution Jan 9, 2011

jirimenzel wrote:

What is my solution!?

The solution is very simple: post a job ad at this site and translators will do the job.

Nikita Kobrin

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
quality Jan 9, 2011

jirimenzel wrote:

Just as long as the word looks polish, I'm happy, if i'm translating to polish.

I don't understand. Are you saying that you don't mind if the translation is wrong ?

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:46
Swedish to English
+ ...
I guess you have little knowledge of languages Jan 9, 2011

jirimenzel wrote:

Precision isn't necessary, I'm not looking for grammar. I am however looking for something that'll translate ALL!!! the words and not be lazy and do nothing and copy it when a word isnt in the database! Just as long as the word looks polish, I'm happy, if i'm translating to polish.

If you did you might have heard of of polysemy, i.e. that a word (or rather term) can have, and often do, have more than one meaning. Or as Wikipedia puts it:

"Polysemy (pronounced /pəˈlɪsɨmi/ or /ˈpɒlɨsiːmi/)[1][2] (from the Greek: πολυ-, poly-, "many" and σήμα, sêma, "sign") is the capacity for a sign (e.g., a word, phrase, etc.) or signs to have multiple meanings (sememes), i.e., a large semantic field."

The English term "see" supposedly has 29 different meaning.

Try translating the English term "order" automatically without context. Is it an order you place to buy something or part of the concept "law and order" or about placing objects in a sequential order or...

All these different meanings might be translated as different terms in another language. If you only want a "polish" [sic] word in another language, whether correct or not, this might not bother you, but whoever reads the garbage created might have problems understanding what you're trying to say if "precision isn't necessary".

[Edited at 2011-01-09 12:36 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One solution Jan 9, 2011

jirimenzel wrote:
Just a word list, think microsoft excel and 30,000 rows of column A1.
Just imagine a list of words, hundreds of thousands of words... and me wanting to do so without having to do them 500 or 1000 at a time...

1. Do you want the program to translate each word individually (even if more than one word occurs in a single cell), or do you want the program to treat the whole cell as a single unit (i.e. if a cell contains two words, it should be treated as one unit, not as two units)?

2. In what format is the TM or dictionary or glossary from which the translations will be taken?

If you want each cell to be treated as a whole unit, then you need to convert your dictionary to a TM, and then use the CAT tool's autotranslation feature to translate the entire file. I'm sure it should be able to do the entire Excel file in one step. OmegaT could be used for this (other CAT tools too).

If you want every word to be translated individually, and if some cells contain multiple words, then you need to convert your dictionary to a glossary and use your CAT tool's automatic glossary insertion feature to translate the entire file. This may be slower than the other method. Wordfast Classic could be used for this (other CAT tools too).

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
You're joking, right? Jan 9, 2011

jirimenzel wrote:
I am however looking for something that'll translate ALL!!! the words and not be lazy and do nothing and copy it when a word isnt in the database! Just as long as the word looks polish, I'm happy, if i'm translating to polish.

You want some computer program to translate into languages you don't speak and don't care as long as the result looks right, never mind what it means? Believe me, your client (if there really is one) won't be "happy" at all...

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
What is the point? Jan 10, 2011

jirimenzel wrote:

But what is the point if the "Polish" word is as meaningless to the reader (or even more) than the original word? In Polish (and, I suspect, in every other language there is) we really do care if it is one Polish word or another!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Whether it really matters Jan 10, 2011

Cetacea wrote:
You want some computer program to translate into languages you don't speak and don't care as long as the result looks right, never mind what it means? Believe me, your client (if there really is one) won't be "happy" at all...

and

Jabberwock wrote:
But what is the point if the "Polish" word is as meaningless to the reader (or even more) than the original word? In Polish (and, I suspect, in every other language there is) we really do care if it is one Polish word or another!

Well, if the job is really just a list of words, with no definitions, then it is likely that the list of words would be context-less anyway. This means that even a professional English-Polish translator would have to select one meaning for each word and translate it with the first thing that comes to mind.

We don't know why the client wants this word list translated, but assuming the client has already been informed of the folly of such an exercise, what would be the fastest way of delivering a product to him that is "accurately" translated within the limits of the job's limitations?

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Lists of keywords for websites? Jan 10, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, if the job is really just a list of words, with no definitions, then it is likely that the list of words would be context-less anyway. This means that even a professional English-Polish translator would have to select one meaning for each word and translate it with the first thing that comes to mind.

We don't know why the client wants this word list translated, but assuming the client has already been informed of the folly of such an exercise, what would be the fastest way of delivering a product to him that is "accurately" translated within the limits of the job's limitations?

Then the context is the website itself.
And in this case, the original poster's question (what is the quickest way) makes sense.

I would do this with Wordfast, though, in the way Samuel indicates (while constructing a glossary and using the glossary autopropagate function), and start from the beginning.

If an automated process is needed, I would use the autotranslate function after the first 10,000 words or so, which is a kind of batch process after all.

In each case, the results should be checked, as one keyword can lead to two or more translations.

[Edited at 2011-01-10 10:39 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best software for Batch Translation?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »