using olifant to extract part of Trados TMX file?
Thread poster: veratek
veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 07:04
French to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2011

Hello, is it possible to use Olifant to open a TMX file, select a few terms and export this selection as a new TM file?

I couldn't find a reference in the user's manual. I found how to delete the entries I don't want. In this case, however, I have a large TM and it would be more convenient to select the entries I need rather than delete all the ones I don't need.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes, it is possible Jan 14, 2011

You can use filtered view (you need to enter an SQL like expression to create the filter, and the filter dialog box has examples of such expressions), and then when the filter is active, what yo save or export is just the filtered view.

Hope this helps.

Piotr

[Edited at 2011-01-14 05:25 GMT]

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 14, 2011

Yes, it does help to know this. However, since I would need to select entries based on how much they relate to another document, an SQL expression doesn't work in this case. I just went ahead and manually deleted entries which were unrelated...

Now I will see if I can merge the two created memories into a third one. Stay tuned for next questions

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
import but no merge Jan 14, 2011

I succeeded into importing one TM into another (simple addition), but when I tried to have Olifant merge duplicate entries, it crashed. (1000 and 500 entries - so not that big...)

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:04
English to Polish
+ ...
No hope to fix that bug Jan 14, 2011

veratek wrote:

I succeeded into importing one TM into another (simple addition), but when I tried to have Olifant merge duplicate entries, it crashed. (1000 and 500 entries - so not that big...)

Development of the NET based Oilfant is discontinued. If and when there will be a Java version - we don't know.

One idea, you can use the free Wordfast Anywhere to merge TMs. The people behind this app say they don't peek into the uploaded TMs, but ... caveat emptor.

Regards,

Piotr

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good reminder Jan 14, 2011

but ... caveat emptor.

Always a good reminder!

Thanks

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:04
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast Classic Jan 16, 2011

You can also use Wordfast Classic to merge TMs. It has a pretty good TM editor built-in. You can import TMX TMs and re-export as TMX. Since you won't be translating with WFC, the 500 TU limit for free use doesn't apply - you can work with TMs over 500 TUs, just not translate with them.

[Edited at 2011-01-16 00:57 GMT]

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful Jan 17, 2011

Thanks for that information, John. Very useful, indeed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

using olifant to extract part of Trados TMX file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »