ForeignDesk: recycling from legacy files
Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:22
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 2, 2004

Is any of you familiar with ForeignDesk? (FD)
Now I have to use it for a localization project.
I would like to convert the source file so that I can actualy work in Deja Vu (DV) (with which I am very familiar and which can handle termonilogy very efficiently). Now: DV can produce proper target files in the same format (asp, txt, xsl) as the source files.
The problem is that FD also uses some interim files that look rather chaotic, full of code. When I deliver the project to the client, all files should be there (i.e. source, target AND the code-heavy interim files).
I am now investigating a workaround: translating the files in DV, then setting up a "legacy" project with the original source files and translated target files. As I understand this is basically an alignment process. Unfortunately I cannot go any further than this. When I make the "Recycle from" step, the legacy files seem to be locked or hidden (crossed out), so I cannot import translated segments into the project.

Any ideas what I can do about this?

Direct link Reply with quote
Christian Flury
Local time: 09:22
Latin to German
+ ...
You can only select directories, not files Mar 2, 2004

I don\'t know if you will find my advice very helpful as I am not a FD expert either. However, I think I know why the files seem to be \"locked\". Actually, it is rather weird: When creating a new project in FD - be it for translating new files or for recycling translated files - you cannot access or view single files, but only entire directories. So you need to create a directory in which you place all the source files and another one for the target files. Then you choose those directories as source files and target files locations and FD will run the alignment process on all the files contained in the respective directories. Of course, all this has to be done in FDPA. Then, you can open the new project in the main application (ForeignDesk ITE) to modify the single files.

Good luck!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ForeignDesk: recycling from legacy files

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs