Thread poster: Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2011

Hi,

I have a question concerning the creation of termbases. Moderators, in case this isn't the correct forum, feel free to move this post to the right forum.

I'm basically looking for a method and/or tool to efficiently perform the following operations.

- Creating a monolingual/bilingual/multilingual termbase, based on source documents delivered by the client. This comes down to the creation of a database consisting of the important keywords in a source doc
... See more
Hi,

I have a question concerning the creation of termbases. Moderators, in case this isn't the correct forum, feel free to move this post to the right forum.

I'm basically looking for a method and/or tool to efficiently perform the following operations.

- Creating a monolingual/bilingual/multilingual termbase, based on source documents delivered by the client. This comes down to the creation of a database consisting of the important keywords in a source document supplied by the client. An entry in the database could/should contain a definition, example, reference, image, grammatical info, etc. This entry would be monolingual. Also translations of the terms in this termbase, in one or more target languages could be added.

I've already read some posts in the ProZ fora concerning this topic. From what I've gathered so far, manual work still seems to be the best guarantee to compile such a termbase. I suppose an hourly rate would suit this work best? Any idea on how one could budget the number of work hours needed to create such a term base for, let's say, a 1000-word source document?

Which software tool would be advisable to use for this type of work? Is a simple Excel-file sufficient? And if yes, into which format should an Excel-file be converted so the (bi- or multilingual) termbase can be used in CAT-tools like Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast,...? CSV, TBX,...?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

gLocalise
Collapse

Mathieu Jacquet
Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:12
English to French
For example, Multiterm Feb 2, 2011

Hi GLocalise,

you can use Multiterm and the Multiterm Extract tool (Monolingual Term Extraction
Project). This kind of extraction allows you to extract terminology from the following file types:

TXT – Plain text
RTF – Rich text format
Microsoft Office Word (*.doc)
HTML, HTM, JSP, ASP, ASPX
SGML, SGM, XML
Ventura (*.txt)
Adobe PageMaker (*.txt)
QuarkXPress (*.qsc, *.txg, *.ttg, *.tag)
TTX – TRADOStag file forma
... See more
Hi GLocalise,

you can use Multiterm and the Multiterm Extract tool (Monolingual Term Extraction
Project). This kind of extraction allows you to extract terminology from the following file types:

TXT – Plain text
RTF – Rich text format
Microsoft Office Word (*.doc)
HTML, HTM, JSP, ASP, ASPX
SGML, SGM, XML
Ventura (*.txt)
Adobe PageMaker (*.txt)
QuarkXPress (*.qsc, *.txg, *.ttg, *.tag)
TTX – TRADOStag file format
Adobe InDesign (*.isc)
Microsoft Office Powerpoint (*.ppt, *.pps,
*.pot)
Microsoft Office Excel (*.xls, *.xlt)

If you have a TM, you can also perform a Bilingual Term extraction. This way you will have translations for each extracted term.

To know how long it will take, try a first extraction on a single page (about 250 words), then multiply by the required factor!

As for which fields you should associate with each term (definition, example, reference, image, grammatical info, etc.), it depends on what type of information your client really needs. The more fields, the longer the time spent on the termbase of course.

And it can be a very very long process, depending on your own knowledge of extracted terms: for each of them, are you able to give a definition, an example, grammatical info, associate a craft, attach an image yourself, or do you need be provided with this information by an in-house expert?

I am telling that because I had to do it for a client in a very specialized area, and most of the fields stayed empty because of a lack of knowledge in this area on my side, and of a lack of time from experts on the client's side. But anyway this is no big deal: once fields are created, they are there, and can be filled progessively.

I do not know about the compatibility between Multiterm termbases and Wordfast or other CAT software but knowing SDL, I guess this must be pretty locked.

Cheers,
Mathieu.
Collapse

Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
web-based terminology tools Feb 3, 2011

Thanks for your comments, Mathieu!

Does anyone have any experience with a web-based terminology tool, wherein:
- terminologists can enter/update entries
- end clients can validate entries
- end clients and translators can consult entries to improve consistency and quality in authoring and translating documents

I've found several online and permission-based solutions like this on the web, but I'm looking for some first-hand experiences, especially regar
... See more
Thanks for your comments, Mathieu!

Does anyone have any experience with a web-based terminology tool, wherein:
- terminologists can enter/update entries
- end clients can validate entries
- end clients and translators can consult entries to improve consistency and quality in authoring and translating documents

I've found several online and permission-based solutions like this on the web, but I'm looking for some first-hand experiences, especially regarding the more budget-friendly options out there

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

creation of termbase

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »