Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How fast do you translate using CAT?
Thread poster: Chris Miller (X)
Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:31
Italian to English
I love CAT Mar 31, 2011

I'm not sure it actually speeds up by translation but it does two things for me.

First it helps in consistency like others have mentioned not only in terms of previous translations but also within a single translation. Even if there is not repetition, just the fact that I can search through a bilingual document (previously I used SDLX and now SDL Studio 2009) that lets me search in both languages helps me view how I said something previously. I don't always remember. Moreover, work
... See more
I'm not sure it actually speeds up by translation but it does two things for me.

First it helps in consistency like others have mentioned not only in terms of previous translations but also within a single translation. Even if there is not repetition, just the fact that I can search through a bilingual document (previously I used SDLX and now SDL Studio 2009) that lets me search in both languages helps me view how I said something previously. I don't always remember. Moreover, working in SDL Studio 2009, I apply the source in the translation column right off the bat and use search and replace if there is a term so I don't have to think of it again. It doesn't achieve great chunks like someone said but it makes for consistency.

Second, since I type extremely fast, it really helps working in the column fashion and thus just going through without worrying about paragraphs, overwriting, as I would if I were working in Word. In this respect, I think it does speed things up for me.

PPT and Excel are impossible without.

Recently I have been playing with MultiTerm but I'm still not sure as I type so fast that, by the time I have recognized the term, I have already finished typing it. Sometimes reading the list actually slows me down.

But one thing is certain it is an enormous help and I would much prefer to use it than not.
Collapse

Chris Miller (X)
Chris Miller (X)
United States
Local time: 11:31
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your responses! Apr 3, 2011

Thank you to everyone who responded to my forum post! A lot of useful information and feedback was shared.

My language pair is Chinese to English and I generally translate documents that don't contain too much repetition, so I haven't found myself really needing to use a CAT tool. But as far as vocabulary lists go, I can see how that would be a great resource when translating those particularly lengthy documents.

Does anyone have any learning resources for thei
... See more
Thank you to everyone who responded to my forum post! A lot of useful information and feedback was shared.

My language pair is Chinese to English and I generally translate documents that don't contain too much repetition, so I haven't found myself really needing to use a CAT tool. But as far as vocabulary lists go, I can see how that would be a great resource when translating those particularly lengthy documents.

Does anyone have any learning resources for their favorite CAT tool that they'd like to share with us?
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:31
Chinese to English
Not a fan of Studio Apr 3, 2011

Hi, nice to meet a fellow Chinese tranny.

The Trados videos will get you started easily enough, but I've been using Studio for a month, and I'm not a fan. Like you, I rarely have the need for CAT, but agencies asked me to use it. The column format that Eileen talks about means you can't see the document laid out on the page. When you do our pair, I find that kills the translation. Paragraphing matters! And if you can't see the visual context, you can't work out exactly how to word a
... See more
Hi, nice to meet a fellow Chinese tranny.

The Trados videos will get you started easily enough, but I've been using Studio for a month, and I'm not a fan. Like you, I rarely have the need for CAT, but agencies asked me to use it. The column format that Eileen talks about means you can't see the document laid out on the page. When you do our pair, I find that kills the translation. Paragraphing matters! And if you can't see the visual context, you can't work out exactly how to word a table, label or diagram.

The other problem with CAT for us is the numbers. I've never heard of a software that can deal with the conversion from 100001000.

If you're working for yourself, I say don't bother. If you start getting a lot of work from agencies that require CAT, then work out which one you're getting and dive into the forums.
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:31
Chinese to English
symbols lost there Apr 3, 2011

in the numbers. But I'm talking about 万 and 千, as I'm sure you've realised.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How fast do you translate using CAT?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »