Thread poster: Sebastijan P
Sebastijan P
Sebastijan P
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Apr 18, 2011

Hello!

I am looking for a tool that would be able to convert various billingual files (wordfast pro, idiom, lionbridge, xliff, Trados etc.) to TMX. Any tips before we start the development ourselves?

I am creating a repository TM and I would like to use all resources we have.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
Sebastijan

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:47
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish can do many of them Apr 18, 2011

Sebastijan Pilko wrote:

Hello!

I am looking for a tool that would be able to convert various billingual files (wordfast pro, idiom, lionbridge, xliff, Trados etc.) to TMX. Any tips before we start the development ourselves?

I am creating a repository TM and I would like to use all resources we have.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
Sebastijan

Like TXML (Wordfast Pro), XLIFF, and trados formats: TTX, SDLXLIFF.

Swordfish is a commercial CAT tool so it will first convert the source format to its "native format" (xliff) and then you can save the XLIFF file as TMX.

The free Rainbow from Okapi Tools may also be able to cover some of these formats.

Regards,

Piotr

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Needs Apr 18, 2011

With that motley assortment of source formats, you're unlikely to find a single converter tool. Xbench might be able to do some/most of them, but metadata will be lost. The best solution would be to export each file to tmx with the tool it was created with. They all have a tmx export feature (I hope), just use that. Is there a good reason why you want to use a 3rd party tool?

Here's m
... See more
With that motley assortment of source formats, you're unlikely to find a single converter tool. Xbench might be able to do some/most of them, but metadata will be lost. The best solution would be to export each file to tmx with the tool it was created with. They all have a tmx export feature (I hope), just use that. Is there a good reason why you want to use a 3rd party tool?

Here's my article on a related topic: http://www.proz.com/doc/3194
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:47
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Any Apr 18, 2011

decent CAT-tool can export to TMX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting billingual file to TMX?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »