Good standalone concordance application
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:56
Dutch to English
May 13, 2011

Not sure if theis is a CAT question, but here goes.
I recently made a remark about how concordance searching in Wordfast can be slow, and someone suggested using a desktop search application instead. I've now been experimenting with Google, dtsearch and xbench, but whether its me or the programs, they're either not producing the results I know to be hidden away in my TMs and glossaries, or they produce those results and a whole lot of other stuff I don't want to see.
Any suggestions
... See more
Not sure if theis is a CAT question, but here goes.
I recently made a remark about how concordance searching in Wordfast can be slow, and someone suggested using a desktop search application instead. I've now been experimenting with Google, dtsearch and xbench, but whether its me or the programs, they're either not producing the results I know to be hidden away in my TMs and glossaries, or they produce those results and a whole lot of other stuff I don't want to see.
Any suggestions for other apps worth trying, or how to get these progs to work properly? I thought I checked all the right settings, pointed them at the folders and file types I wanted indexed, etc.

Thanks
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:56
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Anymem May 13, 2011

Hi

I did not try it myself but if Anymem http://www.anymem.com/ does what AIT promises it could be a perfect solution (not free though).

BR
S

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just go back to xbench May 13, 2011

I can state with a fairly high level of confidence that xbench has the best concordance search of any CAT/concordance tool on the market, and by quite a margin.
It doesn't have fuzzy search, so if that's what you want, you'll have to look elsewhere. If you don't need fuzzy search (and for concordance, why would you?) there is no point in looking for a replacement. Just learn to use xbench well (there is a LOT of stuff in there, including 4 different types of search such as wildcard, regex
... See more
I can state with a fairly high level of confidence that xbench has the best concordance search of any CAT/concordance tool on the market, and by quite a margin.
It doesn't have fuzzy search, so if that's what you want, you'll have to look elsewhere. If you don't need fuzzy search (and for concordance, why would you?) there is no point in looking for a replacement. Just learn to use xbench well (there is a LOT of stuff in there, including 4 different types of search such as wildcard, regex etc., case sensitive, case insensitive, whole word, source, target, source&target and so on and so forth). I've done a good couple of thousand searches in it by now and it never gave me an incorrect hit. It also never failed to find a hit that I know to be in the database. You just have to learn the features and use a good search term. You can't copy in half a sentence and expect it to find a partial match.

[Edited at 2011-05-13 10:10 GMT]
Collapse

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
One more for Xbench... May 13, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

I completely agree with this. Well, I haven't tried every CAT tool on the market but I use Xbench all the time for concordance search and have never experienced that it didn't find something I knew was there. It is a great program for various purposes so I would also recommend you give it another chance.

Personally, I only use desktop search for PDF files and other reference files that can't be loaded in Xbench and I also sometimes use a traditional concordance tool (AntConc) to search monolingual files. But from your post it seems you mainly want to be able to search bilingual assets, and in that case I think Xbench is the best bet.

Good luck with it!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
xbench it is May 13, 2011

Thanks all for the input.

Have been playing around a bit more with xbench, and it might just be the right tool for me. It had some trouble with a few of my TMs, but they were obsolete anyway so I threw them out. Now have all my TMs and glossaries indexed under one roof, if I understand it correctly, so that's just grand!
And its free too! For the time being...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good standalone concordance application

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »