copying and pasting 'hidden' text
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:21
Dutch to English
May 14, 2011

Hi, is there a trick for copying and pasting 'hidden' text (the translated source text with dotted underlining between the tags in CAT tools like Wordfast Classic and Trados' workbench) into third party apps. Although you can do concordance searches on this text, you can't look up the selected text fragments in other tools like dictionaries, internet, etc. by copying and pasting it (I manually type in the text I'm looking for). In particular, I'd like to be able to use this for third party conco... See more
Hi, is there a trick for copying and pasting 'hidden' text (the translated source text with dotted underlining between the tags in CAT tools like Wordfast Classic and Trados' workbench) into third party apps. Although you can do concordance searches on this text, you can't look up the selected text fragments in other tools like dictionaries, internet, etc. by copying and pasting it (I manually type in the text I'm looking for). In particular, I'd like to be able to use this for third party concordance software (xbench).

Thanks.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Might seem like overkill, May 14, 2011

... but you could use ABBYY Screenshot Reader (in FineReader 10).

Basically, I can select any area on my pc screen, and this program will automatically use OCR to copy the text to my clipboard.

For example, I just selected the area directly above where I am typing now and got this in the clipboard:

Basically, I can select any area on my pc screen, and this program will automatically use OCR to copy the text to my clipboard.
<
... See more
... but you could use ABBYY Screenshot Reader (in FineReader 10).

For example, I just selected the area directly above where I am typing now and got this in the clipboard:

That is, any words on the screen that you can see can be copy/pasted.

Michael

p.s. The main reason to have FineReader is of course to convert PDFs. I have tried EVERYTHING, and this is the best program to convert PDFs into Word documents you can use directly in your CAT tool.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Ho Olly May 14, 2011

Simply save the file under a different name, select all text and change its properties to make all text visible.

HTH,
Natalia

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Takes time, but possible May 14, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Hi, is there a trick for copying and pasting 'hidden' text (the translated source text with dotted underlining between the tags in CAT tools like Wordfast Classic and Trados' workbench) into third party apps. Although you can do concordance searches on this text, you can't look up the selected text fragments in other tools like dictionaries, internet, etc. by copying and pasting it (I manually type in the text I'm looking for). In particular, I'd like to be able to use this for third party concordance software (xbench).

Thanks.

Select the hidden text, temporarily disable the hidden attribute, Format - Font - Uncheck Hidden, copy, and then restore the Hidden attribute. Recording a macro for this can speed it up.

HTH

Piotr

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Simple May 14, 2011

I had this problem back when I used Trados Workbench. The solution is to just copy the text to the clipboard first, and then hit the xbench keyboard shortcut (I use Ctrl-Alt-Ins, which I believe is the default).
Explanation: Xbench looks up selected text, and, if no text is selected, it looks up the content of the clipboard. For some reason, hidden text in Word is not recognized as selected text, but it is picked up by Xbench from the clipboard. You still won't be able to paste the text to
... See more
I had this problem back when I used Trados Workbench. The solution is to just copy the text to the clipboard first, and then hit the xbench keyboard shortcut (I use Ctrl-Alt-Ins, which I believe is the default).
Explanation: Xbench looks up selected text, and, if no text is selected, it looks up the content of the clipboard. For some reason, hidden text in Word is not recognized as selected text, but it is picked up by Xbench from the clipboard. You still won't be able to paste the text to xbench from the clipboard, but the shortcut is more convenient anyway.

[Edited at 2011-05-14 21:34 GMT]
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fastest way May 16, 2011

On another forum I heard the information I wanted:

Simply select the 'hidden' text, press Ctrl+backspace (converts to 'not-hidden') send to xbench or your dictionary etc., and then press Ctrl-z in the document to revert back to the tag format.

Thanks,

olly

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
? May 16, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

On another forum I heard the information I wanted:

Simply select the 'hidden' text, press Ctrl+backspace (converts to 'not-hidden') send to xbench or your dictionary etc., and then press Ctrl-z in the document to revert back to the tag format.

Thanks,

olly

Did you read my post right above yours? For Xbench lookups, you don't need to mess around with the source document. You could get inconvenient little Workbench errors if you forgot to undo the change or you pressed Ctrl-Z twice by accident, so it's best not to edit the source text if you can help it.

[Edited at 2011-05-16 10:14 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
clipboard May 16, 2011

Hi Farkas,

Did see your post, but when I copy a selected hidden text to the clipboard (that's just a standard ctrl-c copy, right?) and then hit the xbench shortcut, it posts the selected text and a whole lot of other stuff to xbench. Possibly do do with the fact that I use Wordfast and not Trados?

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wordfast May 16, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Hi Farkas,

Did see your post, but when I copy a selected hidden text to the clipboard (that's just a standard ctrl-c copy, right?) and then hit the xbench shortcut, it posts the selected text and a whole lot of other stuff to xbench. Possibly do do with the fact that I use Wordfast and not Trados?

Interesting. I'm not sure what causes it, I believe WF creates Trados-compatible bilingual documents (i.e. there should be no difference there). It could be because you selected the entire segment (along with the

pep
pep
English to Spanish
It's a bug for MS Word 2007 May 17, 2011

Hi Olly,

It is apparently a bug in ApSIC Xbench when used with MS Word 2007 with hidden text.

If you can afford to work with MS Word 2003 as a workaround, it should not occur.

Regards,
Pep.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Pep May 17, 2011

Thanks Pep,

I'll report it to them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

copying and pasting 'hidden' text

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »