Google Translator Toolkit (GTT) -- Having some problems
Thread poster: Gary Hess
Gary Hess
Gary Hess  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
German to English
+ ...
May 19, 2011

I've been experimenting with translating a document using GTT and have a couple of questions:

1. Is this the right place to ask questions about GTT? (If not, where?)

2. I'm trying to translate a text from Estonian to English (just a little project for fun). I wouldn't consider GTT at this point for my professional work (German-English), but I am trying to learn more about GTT with this test project.

Unfortunately, I finding that GTT hangs up sometimes and w
... See more
I've been experimenting with translating a document using GTT and have a couple of questions:

1. Is this the right place to ask questions about GTT? (If not, where?)

2. I'm trying to translate a text from Estonian to English (just a little project for fun). I wouldn't consider GTT at this point for my professional work (German-English), but I am trying to learn more about GTT with this test project.

Unfortunately, I finding that GTT hangs up sometimes and won't save my current work. For example, I have the doc open in Firefox and "Saving..." has been displayed for several hours now. Same has happened with Google Chrome too, so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue only.

Any thoughts? Anybody have a similar experience? I find it discouraging to have entered a number of segments and now find out I can't save them.

3. I also find that GTT sometimes doesn't find my past translations, even though there is a 100% match that I have previously entered.

I'm curious to hear about any other experiences, but please don't confuse GTT with Google Translate -- that's been discussed elsewhere ad nauseum. I want to discuss GTT, the translation memory product.
Collapse

Gary Hess
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
found help May 21, 2011

After digging deeper, I found a support e-mail for GTT and wrote them. Thankfully, they were able to reproduce my problem and they said they are working to fix it.

Here's the website with support information: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/translator-toolkit-api

Dayna Lamothe
Dayna Lamothe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:10
French to English
GTT Problems Oct 18, 2011

Hi Gary,

Did you ever get to the root of this problem? I seem to be having the same issue and can't find any advice on why my segments are not being saved.
The browser I am using is Google Chrome, don't think it's a browser issue as I have used GTT successfully in the past, though not too often.

Frustrated in Montreal,

Dayna

Gary Hess
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Dayna Oct 19, 2011

I managed to reach someone at Google back in May 2011 (not easy...) and they were able to reproduce the error on their end. Here's the end of their final message:

The good news is that since we are able to recreate the problem,
we will find out the root cause and we will fix as soon as we're able.

Thanks for all your help in reporting and helping us diagnose the problem.

Regards,

The Google Team

Unfor
... See more
I managed to reach someone at Google back in May 2011 (not easy...) and they were able to reproduce the error on their end. Here's the end of their final message:

The good news is that since we are able to recreate the problem,
we will find out the root cause and we will fix as soon as we're able.

Thanks for all your help in reporting and helping us diagnose the problem.

Regards,

The Google Team

Unfortunately, I don't think that fixing this problem is a high priority for Google and I'm glad I'm not relying on GTT to make a living...

Gary
Collapse

Gary Hess
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more thing Oct 19, 2011

There is a support forum for GTT here: http://www.google.mk/support/forum/p/translator-toolkit-api/thread?tid=26e4d70cae000faa&hl=en

No one responded to my question there, but I managed to find the e-mail of one of the developers and write him directly. Let me know if you want to do the same and I will send his e-mail to you.

adelina chernaeva-yolova
adelina chernaeva-yolova
Bulgaria
Local time: 03:10
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
About that email Jul 6, 2015

Hi Garry,
I was wondering if you could hand me that email, because I had a TMX file from Trados Studio upoloaded and worked upon in this toolkit, but exporting it back to Trados gave me an error, which I found out was something about the parameter segtype inside the tmx file, which for the life of me I can't figure out, and I need to do so urgently, otherwise I can't continue working

Gary Hess
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
e-mail Jul 7, 2015

The e-mail I found is "[email protected]". The support forum ended in December 2012. See https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/translator-toolkit-api

Good luck getting any support from Google! I think they don't support such products unless it is in their interest. Unfortunately, helping human translators is not wh
... See more
The e-mail I found is "[email protected]". The support forum ended in December 2012. See https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/translator-toolkit-api

Good luck getting any support from Google! I think they don't support such products unless it is in their interest. Unfortunately, helping human translators is not what they are trying to do.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator Toolkit (GTT) -- Having some problems

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »