CAT Tool- SDL Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Arnaud Caudal
Arnaud Caudal
Arnaud Caudal  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:41
English to French
Jul 7, 2011

Hi everyone,

Can I use SDL Trados Studio 2009 to gtranslate Pdf documents.

Thanks

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:41
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Jul 7, 2011

or rather: yes, but Studio 2009 first converts the document to Word, and this conversion is as good or bad as most other PDF-Word-converters. That is to say, if it's pure, straight text, it'll do a reasonable job. But if there are columns, frames, footers or anything of the sort, it'll be a mess.... See more
or rather: yes, but Studio 2009 first converts the document to Word, and this conversion is as good or bad as most other PDF-Word-converters. That is to say, if it's pure, straight text, it'll do a reasonable job. But if there are columns, frames, footers or anything of the sort, it'll be a mess.
See http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&t=&r=0.581460416316986
Collapse

Arnaud Caudal
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
CAT Tools Jul 7, 2011

Thanks!
You have confirmed my fears. So what is the best software to use with pdf files?

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
That's what I would like to know too... Jul 7, 2011

I've tried several, and they all give more or less the same results. Others might have been luckier.

Kailing Huang
Kailing Huang  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
yes and no... Jul 7, 2011

basically what the others say... but usually when I receive a PDF file i'd just ask my agency or client to convert it into WORD version and send that to me, with exceptions for smaller projects of less than 300 words (i.e. certificates, etc.)

Arnaud Caudal
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
CAT Tools Jul 7, 2011

Thanks everyone!

Patrick Chalfine
Patrick Chalfine  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
SDL Trados - Just an another filter to convert PDF file in Doc file Jul 7, 2011

Click on this link, it's very helpful
http://tradoshelp.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/translating-pdf-files-in-studio/

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
OmniPage Jul 7, 2011

Arnaud Caudal wrote:
So what is the best software to use with pdf files?

Not cheap, but OmniPage will convert both text files and graphics files (using OCR, Optical Character Recognition). In my experience, very good, and I have just ordered version 18.
Other people swear by ABBYY FineReader. Incidentally, that is the technology behind WordFast Anywhere.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat... Jul 8, 2011

is the only software which handles PDF files correctly, or one of its direct tools.
Guess why!

Mike

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not really... Jul 8, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

is the only software which handles PDF files correctly, or one of its direct tools.
Guess why!

That is incorrect. The conversion tools available in Acrobat give much worse results than OCR done e.g. in FineReader (admittedly, if you put more effort into it).

Even as far as readers are concerned, many users prefer 3rd-party solutions (usually because they are much faster than Adobe Reader).

By the way, PDF is an open standard, so there really no "secret knowledge" or "backdoor shortcuts" which Adobe could use to get advantage over the competition.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Too quick in judging this one... Jul 8, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:
(...)
By the way, PDF is an open standard, so there really no "secret knowledge" or "backdoor shortcuts" which Adobe could use to get advantage over the competition.

Jabberwock,
I was a little fast with my reply, forgetting the 'open standard'. My impression was that a proprietary software should fundamentally work best, but nowadays with so much add-on software or plugins etc., I must admit this is just a false statement.
Maybe the constant advertisement pointing of Adobe Reader towards Adobe Acrobat has
influenced my opinion..

Personally, I find that AABBYY Fine Reader v.9 (there must be newer ones) does a very fine job, with a reasonable expense for the software.

Mike

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Acrobat is great at "good PDFs"... Aug 31, 2011

I use ABBYY myself, but I do find that if it is a good PDF, Acrobat will sometimes produce better results than ABBYY.

I'm testing OmniPage now, to see if it is any better than either of the above.

mirekk
mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader 10 Sep 1, 2011

I use AFR 10 Pro and find it very useful. It does a great job of converting pdf to doc and has great tools.
Anyway post-processing (removing sof-return symbols, reformatting text fields, etc.) of converted files is a bitch Wish there were tools for that...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tool- SDL Trados Studio 2009

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »