TMX - variable data
Thread poster: aud51
Jul 11, 2011

Dear All,

I have to create a TMX file from a software interface extraction. Some segments contain "variable" data. Do you know how to encode those elements so that the variable data are still possible in the TMX matching analysis.

ex:
Field value {} is invalid and must be from list {1}
File "{}" has been successfully created.
File "{}" was successfully replaced. Original file was backed up as "{1}".

Can I replace {0}, {1}... by something
... See more
Dear All,

I have to create a TMX file from a software interface extraction. Some segments contain "variable" data. Do you know how to encode those elements so that the variable data are still possible in the TMX matching analysis.

ex:

Can I replace {0}, {1}... by something in the TMX file ?

Thank you.

Audrey
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:54
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
In terms of fuzzy... Jul 12, 2011

Lines

File "{1}" has been successfully created.

and

File "{2}" has been successfully created.

will be equal, as figures are ignored as a rule.

[Редактировалось 2011-07-12 09:14 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:54
English to Polish
+ ...
Check this link please Jul 12, 2011

aud51 wrote:

Dear All,

ex:

Thank you.

Audrey

http://xml.coverpages.org/TMX-SpecV13.html#elements

Maybe it will help. Could not find the text for TMX 1.4, because LISA, the organization that published the TMX standard, unfortunately went under.

Hope this helps.

Edited later:

you can also grab the 1.4b recommendation here, so grab it while it still lives:
http://www.lisa.org/fileadmin/standards/tmx1.4/tmx.htm
because the fake potency pills vendors appear to have already started hijacking the LISA domain name.

Piotr

[Edited at 2011-07-12 10:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-12 18:09 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What's the idea here? Jul 12, 2011

aud51 wrote:

Dear All,

What do you mean by "possible in the TMX matching analysis"? The variables are just simple {1} etc. in the text, not tags... aren't they? They will be treated as text and everything will be fine. At least that's what I would expect. As they aren't in < > but { }, they aren't even encoded as character references in the TMX file. They just remain a literal {1}, {2} etc. each step of the way.

aud51 wrote:

You could, but I don't see why you would want to.

If you're going to try to generate a TMX "by hand", check the TMX maker in LF aligner, written by yours truly.

In TMX, most things are left as literal characters.
There are only five exceptions:
&lt;
&gt;
&quot;
&amp;
&apos;

These are the only character entities that are legal in TMX.

[Edited at 2011-07-12 10:45 GMT]

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TMX coded characters Jul 12, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

In TMX, most things are left as literal characters.
There are only five exceptions:
<
>
"
&
'

These are the only character entities that are legal in TMX.

[Edited at 2011-07-12 10:45 GMT]

Hello Farkas,
may I take the oppurtunity and ask you:
I often export/re-import TMXs to Translation Memories just to find these non converted characters in my TM afterwards (they appear in the text like in your post). I use Olifant, sorry, not your LF Aligner. Has this to do that the CAT tools don't read TMX correctly, or maybe I'm doing something wrong when re-importing?
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-12 12:19 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workflow Jul 12, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

I often export/re-import TMXs to Translation Memories just to find these non converted characters in my TM afterwards (they appear in the text like in your post). I use Olifant, sorry, not your LF Aligner. Has this to do that the CAT tools don't read TMX correctly, or maybe I'm doing something wrong when re-importing?

Well, it depends on exactly what you do with what tools.
Do you just export a "good" TM to TMX, and then reimport it to your CAT wihtout changing the TMX in any way, only to find extraneous character entities (&quot; etc.) during concordance searches and the like?
If so, then your CAT reads or writes TMX incorrectly. If this happens to TMXes after you process them with Olifant, then it's probably Olifant's fault.

When you open a TMX file with a text editor, a " character should be represented by &quot;, which your CAT will interpret as " when you import the TMX. If you see &amp;quot; when you open the TMX with a text editor, then whatever software generated the TMX screwed up. If, on the other hand, the TMX has &quot; but your CAT fails to interpret it as " during importing, then you CAT is the culprit.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
@Farkas Jul 12, 2011

Thanks!

Checking all this will narrow down and solve a lot of troubles!
So, if all else should fail, I still can take reference of the 5 special characters you've mentioned and do a manual Search/Replace in the TMX, in both directions, the culprits and the good ones
I think I'll make a macro in UltraEdit.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-12 14:11 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Search and replace Jul 12, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

Thanks!

Checking all this will narrow down and solve a lot of troubles!
So, if all else should fail, I still can take reference of the 5 special characters you've mentioned and do a manual Search/Replace in the TMX, in both directions, the culprits and the good ones
I think I'll make a macro in UltraEdit.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-12 14:11 GMT]

Well, if your texts don't contain "quoted" character entities, i.e. you can safely assume that all instances of &quot; in your TM should be ", then you can just blindly replace

&amp;quot; -> &quot;
&amp;apos; -> &apos;

etc. in all your TMX files. This can't cause any harm - again, supposing that your texts don't talk about character entities.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes you can, sort of Jul 12, 2011

aud51 wrote:
Can I replace {0}, {1}... by something in the TMX file?

You mean, like this?

<seg>Field value <ph>&lt;1&gt;</ph> is invalid and must be from list <ph>&lt;2&gt;</ph></seg>

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMX - variable data

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »