Thread poster: Hannele Marttila
Hannele Marttila
Hannele Marttila  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:50
Finnish to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2011

Any advice please on selecting CAT tools and how useful they are both at work and for getting work?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
Fastword? Jul 20, 2011

Hi Hannele,

Is this a new CAT tool or the good old Wordfast? Do not just invest in a CAT tool, test demo versions before making your decision. A CAT tool may increase your productivity in e.g. English>French pair but another CAT may be better for your language pair.

Selcuk

Mohamed Mahmoud
Mohamed Mahmoud  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:50
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I hope my words shall be useful Jul 20, 2011

Dear
CAT Tools are very important now in translation market. They have an extraordinary usefulness in huge technical project and save time and effort.
I think you shall start with non complicated Tools like word fast, specially as it is available on their website for demo versions on the following link:
http://www.wordfast.com/index.html
it is not complicated any how and they
... See more
Dear
CAT Tools are very important now in translation market. They have an extraordinary usefulness in huge technical project and save time and effort.
I think you shall start with non complicated Tools like word fast, specially as it is available on their website for demo versions on the following link:
it is not complicated any how and they are the manuals of each version in the same website.
After that you shall move to more advanced Tools like Trados and other

I hope to help you any time in any issue
Best wishes and Kind regards
Yours
Mohamed Taha Mohamed Mahmud
"Certified Accredited Sworn Translator"

Translator of best seller scientific book "My Einstein",
National Center for Translation, Cairo, Egypt

Translator at the national center for translation, Cairo.
Certified Translator Authorized by Egyptian Translators Association EGTA & International Federation of Translators FIT and UNESCO.
Member of Egyptian Arbitration Legal Center.
Member of Egyptian Translators and Linguists Association ELTA.
Member of Arab Translators Network-Arab Professional Translators Society -ATN-APTS- based in Beirut, Lebanon.
Porz Member: www.proz.com/profile/687952"
002 0140793863
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wordfast for newbies?? Jul 21, 2011

Mohamed Taha ar wrote:

it is not complicated any how and they are the manuals of each version in the same website.
After that you shall move to more advanced Tools like Trados and other

I don't think Wordfast Classic is an easy-to-learn program with limited features. You can do almost anything with the settings in Pandora's Box. All those CAT tools, Trados 2007, SDLX, Trados Studio, Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Pro, MetaTexis, Across, Transit, Swordfish, CafeTran, MemoQ, OmegaT and my favourite one Deja Vu X offer great features and support multiple file types. The problem is that many users do not read the user manuals.

You don't need to install them, first read the manuals and then test the one you liked most.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Fastword and other CAT tiols Jul 21, 2011

Hannele Marttila wrote:
Any advice please on selecting CAT tools and how useful they are both at work and for getting work?

I'm not sure if the title of your post is meant to be humorous, but: Given that many CAT tools have very limited spell-checking capabilities, it is quite essential that you spell right when you type, because the CAT tool will propagate any error you make to places you never even imagined. First become a good, fast typist.

[Edited at 2011-07-21 07:27 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Good point Jul 21, 2011

Unfortunately DVX does not display spelling errors in Word style, underlined with red colour. AFAIK that feature will be implemented in one of the next builds. MemoQ underlines them but does not display the correct spelling while you are typing. In both tools you must press F7 to display suggested spellings. SDL Studio underlines errors and displays suggestions with right-click.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SW: Fastword and other CAT tiols

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »