Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 8, 2011

G'day everyone

A client wants me to use GTT, and I have no objection as long as I can extract the source text, translate it offline, and then put the translation back into the online system using a paste-program. This is almost possible with GTT.

Unfortunately, one or two features of GTT prevent me from using the above extract+translate+paste method of translation. I was hoping that some of you may know of solutions or workarounds.

1. Can I set GTT to dis
... See more
G'day everyone

A client wants me to use GTT, and I have no objection as long as I can extract the source text, translate it offline, and then put the translation back into the online system using a paste-program. This is almost possible with GTT.

Unfortunately, one or two features of GTT prevent me from using the above extract+translate+paste method of translation. I was hoping that some of you may know of solutions or workarounds.

1. Can I set GTT to display only translated segments, or only non-translated segments?
2. Can I set GTT to *not* use pre-translate MT on non-translated segments?
3. Is there a way to tag non-human translated segments with a character that will allow me to separate those from other segments when I copy the text?

At present, translated segments are green and non-translated segments are red (but they are automatically pre-translated using machine-translation). This means that if I copy the text, I can't see what was translated by a human and what was translated by a machine, because the colours are not copied. To use the extract+translate+paste method of translation, I need to know which segments should not be changed (i.e. translated by a previous translator) and which ones can safely be overwritten.

It would be fine if the file on GTT was 100% non-translated to begin with, but it is not (even if no human had touched it, GTT might have leveraged it against previous human translations).

I really want to help this client of mine (and I truly think I'm the best translator for the job), but I can't work inside GTT -- it reduces my productivity to the level that it was when I was a translation student.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One answer Aug 8, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
3. Is there a way to tag non-human translated segments with a character that will allow me to separate those from other segments when I copy the text?

Yes... yes, I have found that I can view the source code of the target text pane using Opera, and then copy that source code to an offline HTML file, and inside the HTML are codes that show which segment is of which type.

The human-readable text is directly preceded by a SPAN tag of which the CLASS attribute contains the markers. For example:

<span gtc:wc="1" dir="ltr" class="goog-gtc-translatable goog-gtc-from-tm goog-gtc-from-tm-score-100">The translation here</span>

The markers that I have identified so far, are:

In-context translation:
(unknown)

Exiting translations (100%):
goog-gtc-from-tm-score-100

Existing translations (high fuzzy):
goog-gtc-from-tm-score-100-fuzzy

Machine translation:
goog-gtc-from-mt

Edited:
goog-gtc-from-human

Incorrect placeholders:
goog-gtc-ph-missing

And a marker that I don't know what it is for:
goog-gtc-translatable
...although I suspect it means nothing, because it precedes all other markers, always.

The important thing is that (AFAICT) the marker for "100%" is always at the end of the span, so one can do a very simple find/replace to add a textual market to the start of the human-readable text, and then open the HTML file in a browser and copy the text to MS Word from there.

v_kristine
v_kristine  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:44
German to Latvian
+ ...
another answer Aug 8, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yes. You can choose to display source text in non-translated segments instead. Go to Settings (right top corner of the window) > Editing and change the option. However, the change doesn't apply to already uploaded files, so you will have to upload them again.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@kristine Aug 8, 2011

v_kristine wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Yes. You can choose to display source text in non-translated segments instead. ... However, the change doesn't apply to already uploaded files, so you will have to upload them again.

That's something to keep in mind, thanks. If a client is the end-client and he can re-upload the files with that setting, then that might help some people.

In my case, sadly, my client is not the end-client, so my client can't re-upload the file without putting in a request up the outsource tree, which may take too long of which may even be denied.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate Toolkit (GTT) help (non-MT), please

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »