CAT Tool user needed to count repetitions in text
Thread poster: Robert William Smales
Robert William Smales
Robert William Smales
Germany
Local time: 15:43
German to English
Apr 22, 2004

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask for help with my problem - but I am appealing to a fellow translator to help me out with a technical problem.

I have just started freelance translation and do not yet have any CAT tool installed on my computer. I have a job which is a 13.000 word document and I need to find out how many repetitions there are in the text for invoicing purposes.

I would be so grateful if somebody with the appropriate software would get in tou
... See more
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask for help with my problem - but I am appealing to a fellow translator to help me out with a technical problem.

I have just started freelance translation and do not yet have any CAT tool installed on my computer. I have a job which is a 13.000 word document and I need to find out how many repetitions there are in the text for invoicing purposes.

I would be so grateful if somebody with the appropriate software would get in touch with me by email, so that I could send them the document and get a figure for repetitions.
My email address:

Many Thanks in advance for your help!!

[Edited at 2004-04-23 08:49]

[Edited at 2004-04-23 08:50]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get Wordfast for free Apr 23, 2004

Wordfast will analyse your document and at the same time you'll have one of the most useful CAT-tools available.

Robert William Smales
Robert William Smales
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many Thanks for this great tip Heinrich! Apr 23, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Wordfast will analyse your document and at the same time you'll have one of the most useful CAT-tools available.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
CAT Tool user needed to count repetitions in text Apr 23, 2004

Robert Smales wrote:

In what way would the number of repetitions influence your invoice? Just curious.

Marc

Premier Focus
Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:43
German to English
+ ...
Fusion Translate Apr 23, 2004

Robert,

First off - welcome to ProZ!

Secondly, I would like to suggest a CAT tool to you called Fusion (free trial version available for download on Proz: www.proz.com/fusion).

In regards to your repetitions: the "Analyze" function in Fusion Translate is designed to do exactly this. Since you are new to CAT tools, here are some quick guidelines: you have to open the TMs
... See more
Robert,

First off - welcome to ProZ!

Secondly, I would like to suggest a CAT tool to you called Fusion (free trial version available for download on Proz: www.proz.com/fusion).

In regards to your repetitions: the "Analyze" function in Fusion Translate is designed to do exactly this. Since you are new to CAT tools, here are some quick guidelines: you have to open the TMs you want in order to check for repetitions, use the Analyze function in the right hand pane, select the file you want to verify and analyze. You will get a report on the expressions found in the TMs and Dictionary.

If you need more info on some specific functions of Fusion, you can contact the Fusion Team at [email protected]. They are a very friendly bunch and are happy to help. The program itself comes with a great tutorial and is very easy to learn. The learning curve is minimal and the user friendliness is outstanding.

Good luck!

Kerstin
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
repeats are important Apr 23, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

Robert Smales wrote:

In what way would the number of repetitions influence your invoice? Just curious.

Marc
Hi! he is probably getting paid as per Trados word repeats at 1/4 of the base price. In that sense a few inovoicing programms like practicount do this automatically. www.practiline.com
Good luck
brandis

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Repetitions Apr 23, 2004

S.R. Bandi wrote:

he is probably getting paid as per Trados word repeats at 1/4 of the base price.

I'm sure Marc understands that. But it doesn't make sense to give discount for repetitions without actually using a CAT tool to find them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tool user needed to count repetitions in text

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »