Mobile menu

Glossaries: would consulting both directions of language pair be useful?
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 10:58
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 7, 2002

I was wondering whether it would be useful to be able to consult the glossaries in both directions of each language pairs. With my Multitrans Cat Tool, for example, I can consult my termbases in any direction I want Target to source and source to target. And sometimes it is really helpful. Yesterday, for esample, someone wanted translated from English something that I had translated from Italian into English.

paola l m

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-07 23:37 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
English to Spanish
Agree Apr 8, 2002

Actually, I never specify a language pair when I look something up in the glossary: I often find helpful stuff in the other direction, or even in other language combinations (languages I don\'t work with but understand well enough to be able to get something). But being able to consult in both directions would save me the time I spend scrolling down the hundreds of English>Hungarian entries!

Cheers,

Andrea

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:58
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Agree Apr 8, 2002

Dear Paola,

Good point raised!

I think dual search is indispensable and I love my Norstedts, Duden-Oxford and to some extent Ernst 2000 and Engström for allowing dual (sextuple/quadruple) searches.

Thus you can often make an intelligent choice between \'synonyms\' (that often aren\'t) because you can deduce the nuances by studying the other direction(s)

Mats

David Davis  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely! Apr 8, 2002

I am new to this site - about 3 weeks now, but I often take the time to look words up both ways anyway to get a better feel for the best way to say things. Great idea!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossaries: would consulting both directions of language pair be useful?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs