Thread poster: Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 03:24
English to Danish
+ ...
May 20, 2004

I have just been contacted by a potential client who insists on their translators using the CAT-tool ForeignDesk. I normally use Trados 6.5. Does anyone have experience with this software and if so how compatible is it with Trados?

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:24
English to Italian
+ ...
Great tool May 20, 2004

Hi,
I found ForeignDesk from Lionbridge an excellent tool, especially for translatying GUI items. If correctly configured, the tool can emulate programming in c++, e.g. you can easilly change size of dialogs and buttons with a simple drag and drop operation, so that the localized strings are not truncated in the GUI. Usually (this was 2 years ago, when I did my last project with FD) the translator receives a free version of FD, with TM database already configured. The agencies usually buy
... See more
Hi,
I found ForeignDesk from Lionbridge an excellent tool, especially for translatying GUI items. If correctly configured, the tool can emulate programming in c++, e.g. you can easilly change size of dialogs and buttons with a simple drag and drop operation, so that the localized strings are not truncated in the GUI. Usually (this was 2 years ago, when I did my last project with FD) the translator receives a free version of FD, with TM database already configured. The agencies usually buy the full version, with complete setup functions, which entitle them to send free versions to the translators. Maybe someone else can confirm if this practice is still in use. The setup of the project (usually the agency takes care of it) seems quite complex, while the translation process is smooth.
Massimo

[Edited at 2004-05-20 10:37]
Collapse

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 03:24
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds good May 20, 2004

Thank you - that gives me a good picture of the tool and it sounds quite handy for the purpose. Was a bit suspicious of it at first. The free version is still provided to the translator.

Cheers

Anne

Massimo Rippa wrote:

Hi,
I found ForeignDesk from Lionbridge an excellent tool, especially for translatying GUI items. If correctly configured, the tool can emulate programming in c++, e.g. you can easilly change size of dialogs and buttons with a simple point-and-click operation, so that the localized strings are not truncated in the GUI. Usually (this was 2 years ago, when I did my last project with FD) the translator receives a free version of FD, with TM database already configured. The agencies usually buy the full version, with complete setup functions, which entitle them to send free versions to the translators. Maybe someone else can confirm if this practice is still in use. The setup of the project (usually the agency takes care of it) seems quite complex, while the translation process is smooth.
Massimo

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Foreigndesk May 20, 2004

The free version is available here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/foreigndesk/

As far as I know, there is no version that you have to pay for (please correct me someone if this is not correct).

Marcimo[/quote][/quote]

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Eeer May 20, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

As far as I know, there is no version that you have to pay for (please correct me someone if this is not correct).

Marcimo
[/quote][/quote]

Hi Marc
Maybe on this point I had some confusions with Multilizer (a tool that I don't like at all). I officially confirm all my other statements
M.

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
FD is OK May 20, 2004

I also had a chance to work with ForeignDesk on GUI and I find the application quite useful. It is the only free tool that I know that lets you translate, tinker a bit with GUI and provide compiled files.

The biggest draw back -- you cannot use a built-in spellchecker.

My 2 cc

Romuald

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Haven't worked with it in a long time, but didn't like it much May 20, 2004

Romuald Pawlikowski wrote:

The biggest draw back -- you cannot use a built-in spellchecker.

It's been quite a while since I've worked with Foreign Desk (or the agency that uses it), but I know my copy did have a spellchecker - the spellchecker even distinguished between pre- and post-reform German spelling.

I personally found FD quite restrictive. You could never see the document in its final, formatted form, which IMHO detracts from understanding the text flow and getting the "big picture". And the segmentation was rigid - you could not, as you can with Trados, resize a segment. I considered that a drawback since it's sometimes necessary to turn things around in the target language in order to make the text more readable. I also missed the Word interface as that meant no access to my Word macros.

As noted above, I have not worked with FD in quite a while - maybe 3, 4 years? - and some of the tool's features may have been enhanced and it may be more user-friendly now. I personally never did like it much.

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Spellchecker in FD May 20, 2004

Ulrike Lieder wrote:

It's been quite a while since I've worked with Foreign Desk (or the agency that uses it), but I know my copy did have a spellchecker - the spellchecker even distinguished between pre- and post-reform German spelling.

Probably you used it before it was published as free software. The feature had to be disabled because the spellchecker was third party (not free) software.

I agree that it may be a bit restrictive as far as "normal texts" concerned, but still it a good tool with GUIs.

Romuald

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
Foreign Desk May 21, 2004

I used it a lot and it seems that there was a new version called Lion Linguist.
I confirm there is a spell checker.

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:24
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Terminology Mar 2, 2013

If you want to enhance its terminology workflow, check out this:
http://greek-translator.blogspot.gr/2013/03/foreigndesk-terminology-enhancement.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Foreign Desk - any experience?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »