Need a help in starting using a CAT

Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 10:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 9, 2011

Dear colleagues,
Although I'm not new to translation as profession, I'm new in using CAT tools in my work - so it happened that I've been doing fine without them. Now as I'm broadening my translation practice I found a need in using tool to aid my performance. I've learned something about various tools, but haven't been successfull in using them yet.
I need advise in 1 - selecting a CAT, 2- learning how to use it. Is there any online resources that I can refer to?
Thanks a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 00:41
Spanish to French
+ ...
comparison table Dec 9, 2011

Hello Olga,

Here is one piece of information that might help you make a informed choice (please keep in mind this document is on the website of one of the CAT vendors, so it might be biased, but I think it still gives a good overview of the offer):
http://xtm-intl.com/webinar/Main_CAT_TOOL_Comparison.html

HTH
Nicolas

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:41
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Using and selecting are not the same Dec 9, 2011

Hi Olga,

I well remember my own halting steps as I tried to understand what a CAT was and what it could do for me. I am now a happy user of Trados Studio 2009, and I can't imagine being without it, but I would definitely not recommend it for you as a beginner to the very concept of the tool.

On the basis of my own path - which of course I feel is ideal! - I would advise the following:

Download Wordfast Classic, which is a very small macro program that is just inserted into Word. You don't have to worry too much about menus or a complicated interface, just practice working with the source and target text in one document. This program is free to use for an unlimited period in its trial version (which is up to 500 terms in the TM (Translation Memory)). This means that you can actually translate real jobs using this program.

When you are ready for something more complex, try Across - very much like Trados Studio in its interface and features, and is FREE for freelance translators.

Finally, when a) Trados Studio 2011 is on a special offer and b) you have at least one client trust that says they will be able to put more work your way if you have Trados, then buy it. By this time you'll be able to cope with all the features.

This way you get to learn how to use a CAT gradually without having to spend too much money. It took me at least a year to get from starting out with one to being able to cope with the concepts and features in Studio 2009, (and I'm pretty good with computers) so I really feel that if you haven't used a CAT before you shouldn't overload yourself too much to begin with.

I hope all of this is of some help!

Jane

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
More advice Dec 9, 2011

That is excellent advice from JaneD. I would only add a couple of points -- you need to allow enough time to learn how best to use the software; I also suggest taking a look at Wordfast Anywhere, the cloud computing version of Wordfast.

Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
taking into account market changes Dec 9, 2011

Although I am myself a SDL Studio 2009 user, if you ever need/decide to buy a CAT tool, you obviously need to take into account what is most required. For example, I am now receiving e-mails from customers asking me if I work with MemoQ. So I think in the future the market preference of SDL/Trados might not be as clear-cut as it has been until now.
I think the learning curve suggested by Jane will definitely help you grasp the basics concepts and then understand what your needs are.

[Modifié le 2011-12-09 16:19 GMT]

[Modifié le 2011-12-09 16:26 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tis a pity Dec 9, 2011

Tis a pity Trados 2007, WFC and WFP are not on that table. Maybe it is because those are the three best CAT tools ever, and it would be unfair to the other CAT tools to show them in comparison. Metatexis isn't on it either.

WFA is on the reference table, though:
http://www.qabiria.com/comparison.htm

Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 10:41
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the relpies Dec 9, 2011

Many thanks for the reply.
Jane suggested a complete plan that I'm going to follow and for which I'm infinitely grateful!
I used to use (tried to use) OmegaT but truly - at the time I did the tool didn't facilitate my job, I was only lost with it. So when I needed to get the work done I simply got back to the good old MS Word editing techniques. I also used to have trial version of SDL Trados, but my attempts to learn working with it were too successful; mostly because there wasn't any big requirement to use it. So after spending some time "playing" with the tool I simply gave up.
In saying that by no means do I blame the tools; I just wasn't deliberate enough in learning how to use them - or I jumped into the mystical world of Trados too soon...
Thanks to Jane's comprehensive guideline I see my wa to this world except for one detail I forgot to mention - I work on Mac, so I need to check availability of CATs for Mac. The comparative table is helpful here. Thanks, Nicolas.
And some fun - when I entered "Across CAT" words in goolge search I got link to this: "My cat walked across the keyboard." Got to be careful with key-words when searching

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
Site with general comparison Dec 9, 2011

Look at
http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/

This site compares 20 different CAT tools, with video demonstrations.

Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
Good reference Dec 9, 2011

I just saw in the about us section that this is a collaboration btw some translators with excellent knowledge I know like Jost Zetsche, a technology expert who recently gave a presentation about tools at the ATA conference in Boston.
You can subscribe to his newsletter The translator's toolbox, (there are both a free and a premium subscription) and he also sells an e-book that gives you a good overview of the technology available to translators (if you decide to buy it, tell him I referred you and if you're a member of the ATA, you'll get a special discount).

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Look at
http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/

This site compares 20 different CAT tools, with video demonstrations.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Go with the crowd Dec 10, 2011

You can spend much time comparing and trying tools, but in fact freelance translators use mostly Wordfast and SDL products. The simplest tool to learn at the moment IMO is Wordfast Pro. You also get instant help from users.

Silvia83  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
From Word-based to stand-alone CAT tools Dec 11, 2011

I think what JaneD suggested is a great way to get familiar with CAT tools. Two years ago I started with TWB, then downloaded the free Demo of Wordfast Classic and didn't feel overwhelmed at all.

Recently, I tried Wordfast Anywhere a few times, but didn't seem to work properly. Every time I uploaded a file it would not show unless I logged out and logged back in! It was very frustrating and in the end I stopped trying.

Now I have the chance to purchase Trados 2011 with 40% discount, but I am still debating whether it's really worth it. My clients seem not to care that much about which CAT tool I use and although they use Trados they might change to another CAT soon. I am really undecided!

Is MemoQ fully compatible with Trados and what formats does it support?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
A comparison table with an agenda... Dec 11, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
WFA is on the reference table, though:
http://www.qabiria.com/comparison.htm

It probably didn't suit their claim that "XTM suite is the cheapest server in translation industry"...

For a short demo of the translation industry's *really* cheapest server, see http://youtu.be/wRbTgaUcG-8?hd=1

The client is also cheaper ... since it's free

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Doesn't sound like a typical WFA problem Dec 11, 2011

Silvia83 wrote:
Recently, I tried Wordfast Anywhere a few times, but didn't seem to work properly. Every time I uploaded a file it would not show unless I logged out and logged back in! It was very frustrating and in the end I stopped trying.

What browser were you using with Wordfast Anywhere (WFA)? The behaviour you describe doesn't sound normal. You do have to re-login if there's no activity for a given period (maybe 10-15 minutes), but there definitely shouldn't be any need to log out/log in immediately after you have uploaded a document. Have you asked for help on the WFA list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_Anywhere/ )? The main developer is pretty active on that list.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Like any other Dec 12, 2011

Olga_dyus wrote:

I used to use (tried to use) OmegaT but truly - at the time I did the tool didn't facilitate my job, I was only lost with it.

Any CAT tool won’t facilitate you work at first. You’ll need time to get a payback, they call it learning curve.

BTW, when did you try OmegaT? It’s progressing very fast, so consider trying out once again.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Somewhat incorrect Dec 12, 2011

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

it might be biased, but I think it still gives a good overview of the offer):
http://xtm-intl.com/webinar/Main_CAT_TOOL_Comparison.html

It is somewhat incorrect at least towards Anaphraseus because, perhaps, biased to another tool (do they really consider Anaphraseus a competitor?).

1. Anaphraseus does support Web MT integration with Google Translate, Apertium and Microsoft Bing.
2. Anaphraseus supports adding terms to a glossary (although no other glossary editing feature is available).
3. Anaphraseus does have basic concordance search. Well, actually, search in the current TM.

[Edited at 2011-12-12 05:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need a help in starting using a CAT

SDL Trados Studio 2014
The leading translation software. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL Trados Studio provides translators with all the tools they need for translation, terminology management, review, managing projects, machine translation and more, in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »