Best workaround for importing customer's changes into TM
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:54
Dutch to English
Feb 17, 2012

This has surely been asked before, but what's the best way to import a client's changes into a CAT tool if the client doesn't use a CAT themselves. When I try to update a Word file containing tags using the compare feature and accept all changes, then all the source segments are automatically removed as well.

Thanks,

Olly

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Accept changes and align Feb 17, 2012

If this is so, then you have to accept changes and align source and translation.
If your tool does not have the align feature, your could try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/ . It's free.

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

This has surely been asked before, but what's the best way to import a client's changes into a CAT tool if the client doesn't use a CAT themselves. When I try to update a Word file containing tags using the compare feature and accept all changes, then all the source segments are automatically removed as well.

Thanks,

Olly

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not easy Feb 17, 2012

I don't think you'll find a one-click solution.
There was another thread on the topic recently.

My post from that thread:
"...this is a fairly frequently occurring problem (I tend to do my final proofreading on a clean file, so some changes I make are not reflected in my TMs). It wouldn't be too d
... See more
I don't think you'll find a one-click solution.
There was another thread on the topic recently.

My post from that thread:
"...this is a fairly frequently occurring problem (I tend to do my final proofreading on a clean file, so some changes I make are not reflected in my TMs). It wouldn't be too difficult to come up with an automated algorithm for this that requires minimum human ineraction: export the 'bad' TM into a TMX, extract the target language segments, autoalign those with the new target language translations while conserving the segmentation of the 'bad' target language version (this autoalignment should need little to no revising, as the texts are virtually the same), then swap the new target segments into the original TMX. Perhaps I'll implement this in LF aligner - it mostly just requires a reshuffling of existing bits of functionality."

The above procedure should be reasonably easy to do and the autoalignment should be really close to perfect. All the necessary tools are on sourceforge.net/projects/aligner .

Of course you could also just align the original text with the new translation and make a TM out of that, but that alignment would need more revising/editing.

The first option is recommended if the files are so large that manual alignment/reviewing would be prohibitively time consuming. If you only have 2 pages of text, go with option 2.

If your TM contains formatting information that you want to keep, then the whole thing becomes a lot trickier, of course. I'm not sure that's possible without some very contorted trickery.
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 17, 2012

I forgot to say I was hoping to avoid using an Align tool, as I did a lot of shrinking and expanding of segments during translation and aligning will be a laborious business. I was hoping there would be a way to adjust the settings in Word's compare feature so that the source segments are left intact after the client's changes are accepted.

Farkas, thnaks for your reply. Will try that.

[Edited at 2012-02-17 14:59 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
update TMX Feb 17, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Farkas, thanks for your reply. Will try that.

If you're not in a rush, maybe wait a couple of days. I may have a go at automating the process.
If you're in a hurry or in a mood for experimenting, here's a howto:
1. Generate a TMX from your old TM.
2. Use "TMX to tabbed" from the grab bag to convert the TMX to a tabbed txt.
3. Copy-paste the txt into Excel, copy the target language column and paste it into a txt file. Save it as a UTF-8 txt.
4. Take the new target language file, segment it with your CAT tool and convert it to a UTF-8 txt.
5. Make a copy of the txt file with the old text under a different name. Align all three txt files, adding the two copies of the old file as no. 1 and 2.
6. Copy the new text from the xls produced during the alignment and paste it alonside the source text in the xls made in 3.
7. Generate a TMX from the xls made in 6.

It's fussy and I never tested the procedure, but if you have (tens of) thousands of segments of text, it'll be a lot faster than aligning the source text with the new target text. In ideal circumstances (no repetitions in the file, no segments merged/split by translator), the whole process can be done automatically with minimal chance of error.

christela (X)
christela (X)
Enter manually Feb 18, 2012

I enter manually the client's modifications into the bilingual text I kept for that purpose. It's not ideal but less fuss than realignment.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I'm sure you didn't mean that... Feb 18, 2012

christela wrote:

I enter manually the client's modifications into the bilingual text I kept for that purpose. It's not ideal but less fuss than realignment.

It's less fuss than alignment if you 20 segments (sentences) to take care of.
If there are 500 segments or more... you're going to get rsi from ctrl-c - ctrl-v alone, and spend the better part of a day doing it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best workaround for importing customer's changes into TM

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »