Olifant doesn't show translated text/segments?
Thread poster: Hendrien Stobbe
Hendrien Stobbe
Hendrien Stobbe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:26
Member (2010)
German to Dutch
+ ...
May 14, 2012

Dear translators,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm working on a project with several translators and proofreaders. I've been sent TM's that are supposed to be updated. However, after uploading them in Wordfast they gave only a few "hits" using "translate all". So I opened the original TMs in Olifant (to start at the root, i.e. to check if the translations actually were in the TM) and used the "find" option, using a specific word in the text that had been translated and
... See more
Dear translators,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm working on a project with several translators and proofreaders. I've been sent TM's that are supposed to be updated. However, after uploading them in Wordfast they gave only a few "hits" using "translate all". So I opened the original TMs in Olifant (to start at the root, i.e. to check if the translations actually were in the TM) and used the "find" option, using a specific word in the text that had been translated and should be -as the agency/translator had said- in the TM (shouldn't it?). Let's say the text was about an "oak". I asked Olifant to find the word "oak", both in the source and target text: nothing found. I then asked Olifant to find the translation of the word oak. Still no hits. I tried other specific words, nothing. The TM is a Trados TM. Does Olifant not show Trados TMs? Am I doing something wrong/missing something? And another thing: the more a TM is used, shouldn't there be more segments? Because the fourth update has -give or take ten segments- almost as big as the first one and each text had at least about 60 segments.
Thanks for your help in advance!

Hendrien
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Which feature did you use? May 14, 2012

Hendrien Stobbe wrote:

Dear translators,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm working on a project with several translators and proofreaders. I've been sent TM's that are supposed to be updated. However, after uploading them in Wordfast they gave only a few "hits" using "translate all". So I opened the original TMs in Olifant (to start at the root, i.e. to check if the translations actually were in the TM) and used the "find" option, using a specific word in the text that had been translated and should be -as the agency/translator had said- in the TM (shouldn't it?). Let's say the text was about an "oak". I asked Olifant to find the word "oak", both in the source and target text: nothing found. I then asked Olifant to find the translation of the word oak. Still no hits. I tried other specific words, nothing. The TM is a Trados TM. Does Olifant not show Trados TMs? Am I doing something wrong/missing something? And another thing: the more a TM is used, shouldn't there be more segments? Because the fourth update has -give or take ten segments- almost as big as the first one and each text had at least about 60 segments.
Thanks for your help in advance!

Hendrien

Did you use just the CTRL+F feature, or the filter that supports SQL like expressions (the red funnel with a hand above it icon) or the Flag Entries feature? The last two features can be used in combination i.e. first you set the flaggin criteria and then you use the filter to show just the flagged entries.

Regards,

Piotr

Hendrien Stobbe
Germany
Member (2010)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Control+F May 14, 2012

Hi Piotr,

I used Control + F. Is that the most basic search in Olifant? I don't want to filter anything out.

Regards,
Hendrien

christela (X)
christela (X)
Overkill? May 15, 2012

Why don't you use Notepad or Word for looking into your TMs? Or Wordfast itself?

Hendrien Stobbe
Germany
Member (2010)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already did this May 16, 2012

...and Wordpad doesn't show them either. So the question was and still is: Could it be, that for some reason these editors don't show these segments or are they simply not there?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Olifant doesn't show translated text/segments?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »