Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What is wrong with Google Translator Toolkit?
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 05:44
English to Indonesian
+ ...
CT - WFA comparison Aug 13, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
... looks like in Wordfast Anywhere:...

And the same fragment in CafeTran (Thai>ENG this time): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2184204/CT%20Thai%20II.png
It's a pity I still can't embed images in ProZ forums. I'd love to see CT next to WFA. Some people will claim it's merely a matter of taste. The same people who still use Windows.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2012-08-13 10:47 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:44
Finnish to French
Embedding images in ProZ forums Aug 13, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:
And the same fragment in CafeTran (Thai>ENG this time): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2184204/CT%20Thai%20II.png
It's a pity I still can't embed images in ProZ forums.

You should be able to embed images just like everyone else, using img src=.... Here it is, embedded by me from the above link:

Of course, it's a good idea to keep the image size as small as possible, as not everyone has gigantic displays...

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Thanks, Dominique Aug 13, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
using img src=....

Thanks a million, Dominique! It works. Not as mentioned in the FAQ, but still.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Gigantic displays Aug 13, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Of course, it's a good idea to keep the image size as small as possible, as not everyone has gigantic displays...

I was going to worry about that the minute I could embed an image, Dominique. BTW, I only use a bit more than a quarter of my 27" screen for CafeTran. Below CT, there's my main dictionary which I can search directly from within CT (a Mac only feature, I think, involving "Services"), and the other half of the screen shows the source text in its original format.

[Edited at 2012-08-13 12:12 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Indeed Aug 13, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

why not consider Wordfast Anywhere instead?

Good point. I find WFA superior to GTK in most features. Except for one: none of the machine translation engines supported by WFA matches Google Translate. At least in RU→EN, EN→RU.

[Edited at 2012-08-13 12:05 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Google Translate in Wordfast Anywhere Aug 13, 2012

esperantisto wrote:
I find WFA superior to GTK in most features. Except for one: none of the machine translation engines supported by WFA matches Google Translate. At least in RU→EN, EN→RU.

Wordfast Anywhere does support Google Translate. The only difference with the Google Translator Toolkit is that you have to pay for its use.

The fees charged by Google for its Google Translate service is very reasonable IMO, but if you deem it too expensive nevertheless, you can access it for free using QTranslate, except if you're a Mac or a Linux user (since QTranslate is a Windows application).

QTranslate could be of interest to you, Dmitri, as it also supports ProMT and Яндекс перевод.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
But then we're talking Bangkok... Aug 13, 2012

esperantisto wrote:
Good point.

There's a problem that people outside ASEAN countries probably won't think of. Electricity and Internet connection. With the exception of Singapore (and possibly Malaysia), I wouldn't count on those facilities in ASEAN countries. I don't know the situation in Bangkok at the moment, but here in Indonesia it's wise to have everything "double". Like a generator for electricity, and both ADSL and a wireless ISP. And where I live - Yogyakarta - it's not that bad.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Standalone program Aug 14, 2012

Indeed, in quite many places steady power supply/Internet connection is a problem. Then you need a standalone program. Thus, again, try free programs as mentioned previously, freeware (say, Across for personal use) or low-cost (MetaTexis, Wordfast) alternatives. Well, search here and in Google, Wikipedia.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is wrong with GTT (the CAT tool) Aug 14, 2012

Dylan Hartmann wrote:
So I pose the question here, what is wrong with Google Translator Toolkit?

1. All CAT tools will give you a machine translation to choose from, and
2. will remember the changes you made and then every time that same phrase comes up again will remember the way you did it last time and let you put it in that way again.

Well, firstly, machine translation isn't really the main selling point of CAT tools, and not all CAT tools offer free machine translation anyway.

But secondly (as for your second point), GTT always pre-translates the whole text (either with matches from the TM or with machine translation matches), and most CAT tools don't do that. With GTT, you get no benefit from potential internal fuzzy matches, which means that you have to retranslate similar segments over and over and over, unless that segment was in the TM before you loaded the source text file.

What I also miss with GTT is keyboard shortcuts. Some things have keyboard shortcuts, but some things don't. For example, if you want to propagate an internal exact match, you have to use your mouse to click the various options every time (for every match you want to propagate).

With GTT, you can see additional fuzzy matches in the matches pane, but you have to copy/paste them manually if you want to reuse them instead of the initial match.

I don't even think it is possible to add new terms to the glossary in GTT, during translation. AFAIK, the only way to update a glossary is to upload a new version of the glossary (and to remember to delete the old version of the glossary).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is wrong with Google Translator Toolkit?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »