Best CAT tools to translate .xml, .chm and .rc ??
Thread poster: Javier Pérez
Javier Pérez
Javier Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2004

Hello!!

I got three texts from three different file formats. If I'm not wrong,

-the 1st is some kind of .xml,
-the 2nd seems to be an html help file -the extension is .chm, right?-,
-and the 3rd is a Windows dialog resource file (.rc)

Could you please tell me which CAT tool should I use to translate each one?

This high tech stuff is beyond my grasp.

Thanx a lot...
See more
Hello!!

I got three texts from three different file formats. If I'm not wrong,

-the 1st is some kind of .xml,
-the 2nd seems to be an html help file -the extension is .chm, right?-,
-and the 3rd is a Windows dialog resource file (.rc)

Could you please tell me which CAT tool should I use to translate each one?

This high tech stuff is beyond my grasp.

Thanx a lot

Here you can find a sample of each one >>

1st:

Thank you for choosing for your travel arrangements

2nd:

BEGIN
+$#Using online Help
To identify a tool or control:
Position the pointer over a tool or control and pause. A tool tip appears showing the name and keyboard shortcut (if any) for the item.

3rd:

PRINT DIALOG DISCARDABLE 15, 15, 181, 181
STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
CAPTION "Print"
FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"
BEGIN
LTEXT "Printer:",1093,6,4,25,8
GROUPBOX "Range",1072,5,27,106,75,WS_GROUP
Collapse

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
.chm Sep 14, 2004

Hi Javier,

I am not sure whether there is a tool that translates directly .chm files, but if you can't find any, you may try to decompile the file into its html "base files", translate those (e.g. with tageditor) and recompile it.

Microsoft has a free compiler for this, tha
... See more
Hi Javier,

I am not sure whether there is a tool that translates directly .chm files, but if you can't find any, you may try to decompile the file into its html "base files", translate those (e.g. with tageditor) and recompile it.

Microsoft has a free compiler for this, that you can download here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

Bonne chance,

Rb
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Info Sep 14, 2004

For resources you can use either Trados T-Window for Resources or Deja Vu (e.g. DVX).

For .xml you can use TagEditor or Deja Vu.

Deja Vu has the advantage that you can translate different files from the single environment. You can try downloading their 30-day evaluation form www.atril.com - downloads.

I am not sure about chm files though. Can your customer provide you with some
... See more
For resources you can use either Trados T-Window for Resources or Deja Vu (e.g. DVX).

For .xml you can use TagEditor or Deja Vu.

Deja Vu has the advantage that you can translate different files from the single environment. You can try downloading their 30-day evaluation form www.atril.com - downloads.

I am not sure about chm files though. Can your customer provide you with some feedback?

[Edited at 2004-09-14 16:17]
Collapse

Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
chm: compiled files... Sep 14, 2004

Yes, a chm file are compiled html (or htm) files. Thet best tool to decompile it is HTML Help (free and easy to use), as Rubén said.
Then, you will get the html files, which you can translate and compile with the same tool.

For xml, you can use Trados or Déjà vu, the language is similar to the html, but is is more complex and it has no tags restrictios, so I suggest you to ask your client the .ini file to define the DTD configuration (in Trados, sorry, I haven't tried it ye
... See more
Yes, a chm file are compiled html (or htm) files. Thet best tool to decompile it is HTML Help (free and easy to use), as Rubén said.
Then, you will get the html files, which you can translate and compile with the same tool.

For xml, you can use Trados or Déjà vu, the language is similar to the html, but is is more complex and it has no tags restrictios, so I suggest you to ask your client the .ini file to define the DTD configuration (in Trados, sorry, I haven't tried it yet in DV!)

For rc, it is as easy as opening it in a project in T-Windows for resources (in Trados) or directly to DV.

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2004-09-14 22:17]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best CAT tools to translate .xml, .chm and .rc ??

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »