John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:16
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2013

This morning I am encountering another of SDL Studio's impossible error messages. This time it's the "Out of memory" error. Granted it's a fairly large .ttx file, about 50Mb, but even if I move to working directly in the root of the C:\ drive it still "throws" this error. My memory usage monitor shows no such thing is happening.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of it. What would others suggest to use aside from Studio for .ttx files and other large files? I don't mind investing in some o
... See more
This morning I am encountering another of SDL Studio's impossible error messages. This time it's the "Out of memory" error. Granted it's a fairly large .ttx file, about 50Mb, but even if I move to working directly in the root of the C:\ drive it still "throws" this error. My memory usage monitor shows no such thing is happening.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of it. What would others suggest to use aside from Studio for .ttx files and other large files? I don't mind investing in some other software (MemoQ? DéjaVu?). I would love to have some software that can translate smoothly, without interrupting the workflow the way Studio frequently does.

[Edited at 2013-08-09 20:44 GMT]
Collapse

Sabine Wanner
Sabine Wanner
Germany
Local time: 21:16
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
DéjàVu X2 is a good choice ... Aug 9, 2013

... but obriously that depends on the jobs you receive. I work with both and when I can avoid Translation Studio, I do so - not only for stabilty reasons, but also because DV is simply ... well, it helps me in a much better way with quality assurance etc. DV is also great for multilanguage handling in case you should need that option.

Another good CAT-Tool, and one I also love to work with, is OmegaT.

This is just an opinion - I cannot really help you to choose. Why no
... See more
... but obriously that depends on the jobs you receive. I work with both and when I can avoid Translation Studio, I do so - not only for stabilty reasons, but also because DV is simply ... well, it helps me in a much better way with quality assurance etc. DV is also great for multilanguage handling in case you should need that option.

Another good CAT-Tool, and one I also love to work with, is OmegaT.

This is just an opinion - I cannot really help you to choose. Why not try them out with smaller projects?

Bina
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:16
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Fairly large? Huge! Aug 9, 2013

You can give CafeTran a try. I't is very small download (around 5 MB), so you'll find out soon enough if if it works for your huge file or not. I regularly translate ttx files in CafeTran, but thanks heavens they are not that large. See to it that you assign enough RAM to Java Runtime, 2 GB would be the minimum, 4 GB or more would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-08-09 13:47
... See more
You can give CafeTran a try. I't is very small download (around 5 MB), so you'll find out soon enough if if it works for your huge file or not. I regularly translate ttx files in CafeTran, but thanks heavens they are not that large. See to it that you assign enough RAM to Java Runtime, 2 GB would be the minimum, 4 GB or more would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-08-09 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:16
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Couldn't try out CafeTran Aug 9, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Cheers,

Hans

Thanks, I did try it but the trial stops working when you reach the 30th segment, when I was trying to step to the point where I left off, so it was not possible to try out.

[Edited at 2013-08-09 16:49 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:16
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Project files Aug 9, 2013

John Fossey wrote:
I did try it but the trial stops working when you reach the 30th segment

Ask Igor - cafetran.supportATgmail.com - for an unlimited version. He won't have any problems with it. It's a bit strange, because I thought the 30 segments limit wouldn't apply to "project files" which typically include TTX, SDLXLIFF, SDLPPX and TXML files.

Cheers,

Hans

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:16
English to Italian
+ ...
My 2 cents Aug 9, 2013

Hi John,

Having lost about 5000 euros in lost projects due to Studio last year (incompatibilities with Trados 2007 files and customers refusing to let me work with Studio due to incompatibilities with other translators in the pool using 2007), i shifted to MemoQ and, to date i find myself pretty well. Workflow is somewhat simplified, price is acceptable and i like some functions. It's not perfect, sometimes it crashes (2013 crashes maybe once in a 13 hours translating shift but does
... See more
Hi John,

Having lost about 5000 euros in lost projects due to Studio last year (incompatibilities with Trados 2007 files and customers refusing to let me work with Studio due to incompatibilities with other translators in the pool using 2007), i shifted to MemoQ and, to date i find myself pretty well. Workflow is somewhat simplified, price is acceptable and i like some functions. It's not perfect, sometimes it crashes (2013 crashes maybe once in a 13 hours translating shift but doesn't lose any data) and lacks some functions like MERGE FILES (or i didn't find it ) which i use often on Studio for some projects.

For the rest i'd go for MQ. However, it's worth mentioning many customers expressly require Studio, so the best solution would be having both and keeping both updated which is an extra cost. I still use Studio for about 60% of my jobs (I used it for 90% of my jobs before MemoQ 2013 came out).

I have no remarkable experience on DejaVu and CaféTrans so i can't compare.

Hope it helps

John Fossey wrote:

Frankly, I'm getting tired of it. What would others suggest to use aside from Studio for .ttx files and other large files? I don't mind investing in some other software (MemoQ? DéjaVu?). I would love to have some software that can translate smoothly, without interrupting the workflow the Studio frequently does.
Collapse

Guillaume Chareyron
Guillaume Chareyron  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Views Aug 9, 2013

Hi Enrico,

It is possible to merge files using views. Just select the files to be merged, right-click and choose "View". Then, you have several options, you can just glue together the selected files or filter out the segments you want.

I do use MemoQ to translate ttx and sdlxliff files without any problem, but I also own trados 2007 and SDL Studio, so that I can check the files if necessary.

Cheers
Guillaume

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

It's not perfect, sometimes it crashes (2013 crashes maybe once in a 13 hours translating shift but doesn't lose any data) and lacks some functions like MERGE FILES (or i didn't find it ) which i use often on Studio for some projects.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Some other alternatives Aug 9, 2013

MemoQ (commercial), OmegaT (free), both can handle TTX files.

Regards,

Pitr

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 22:16
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ Aug 9, 2013

This is my favourite translation environment and TM sofware .

Nikita Kobrin

Ivan Czar
Ivan Czar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
MemoQ rules them all Aug 9, 2013

Dear Collegues,

I use almost all the CAT Tools which was made by man, UFO or whatever the client requires...

However I experienced lot of technical problems with almost all the CAT Tools...

However MemoQ saved my project several time, just it is a bit complicated to find compatible file format...

For this reason I always try to negotiate with the client to send me "not-CAT-Tool restricted" file formats such as Word doc...

Bests,... See more
Dear Collegues,

I use almost all the CAT Tools which was made by man, UFO or whatever the client requires...

However I experienced lot of technical problems with almost all the CAT Tools...

However MemoQ saved my project several time, just it is a bit complicated to find compatible file format...

For this reason I always try to negotiate with the client to send me "not-CAT-Tool restricted" file formats such as Word doc...

Bests,
Ivan
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
I use DVX for TTX projects Aug 10, 2013

Hi John,

Possibly any CAT tool is better than TagEditor for translation of TTX files. CafeTran can be a good alternative and Igor is a great programmer but it takes some time to get used to CT.

MemoQ is another good CAT tool seems to sell more licenses than Trados but my preferred tool is Deja Vu X2. I find it stable, user friendly and easy to learn.

Selcuk

Radu Nicolaescu
Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
RAM Memory Switch and ttx presegmentation Aug 10, 2013

1. Studio is an horrid RAM - eater;
especially on large files the inflation is ruinous;
and to make things worse it has no "auto-save" function

I have enabled on all my PCs the 3GB switch for booting and I got an obvious better behavior due to the optimized RAM allocation

you may try

2. When you want work ttx files under Studio it is a prerequisite to do first a "presegmentation" (with Trados Workbench, of course) and to apply the setting "Tr
... See more
1. Studio is an horrid RAM - eater;
especially on large files the inflation is ruinous;
and to make things worse it has no "auto-save" function

I have enabled on all my PCs the 3GB switch for booting and I got an obvious better behavior due to the optimized RAM allocation

you may try

2. When you want work ttx files under Studio it is a prerequisite to do first a "presegmentation" (with Trados Workbench, of course) and to apply the setting "Treat all inline tags as placeholders (disable smart tag pairing)". Unfortunately no Help or Manual marks out this mandatory conditions.

it is only after having tried the processing of ttx files in memoQ that I got the clu

good luck,
Radu

[Bearbeitet am 2013-08-10 08:53 GMT]
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Restart trial version Aug 10, 2013

Hello John,

You need to restart trial version of CafeTran to keep translating after you reach 30 segments. Alternatively, you can write an e-mail to [email protected] to get a time-limited only version.

Cheerio,
Igor

John Fossey wrote:

Thanks, I did try it but the trial stops working when you reach the 30th segment, when I was trying to step to the point where I left off, so it was not possible to try out.

[Edited at 2013-08-09 16:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio alternatives

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »