How to analyze/count/estimate source with fragment assembly?!
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2013

Hi all,

This is a late follow up to my thread about auto-propagate and fragment assembly:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/218404-which_cat_has_most_versatile_auto_propagate.html

So I received a new source file, catalogue content, 120 000 words.
Typical content:
<
... See more
Hi all,

This is a late follow up to my thread about auto-propagate and fragment assembly:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/218404-which_cat_has_most_versatile_auto_propagate.html

So I received a new source file, catalogue content, 120 000 words.
Typical content:

Parasoll med tilt. Finns i färgerna: blå, grön, turkos och gul. Mått: ø180 cm
Parasoll med vev och tilt. Finns i färgerna: svart, blå, röd och vit. Mått: ø180 cm
Parasoll med vev och tilt. Finns i färgerna: svart, taupe, grå och vit. Mått: ø230 cm
Hängparasoll med vev. Finns i färgerna: svart, taupe och grå. Mått: ø300 cm
Parasoll med tilt. Finns i färgerna: blå och gul. Mått: 200x125 cm

I have a pretty good idea how to add terms to TB, defining auto-translate rules and use Fragment Assembly to maximize speed. This can be done both in MemoQ and Studio (Déjà Vu too, I've heard).

But before I start, the challenge is to estimate the workload and set the correct price. Obviously, a plain word count analysis doesn't reflect the complexity/simplicity here.

In Studio, I could activate setting "Report internal fuzzy match analysis". In memoQ, I guess the equivalent setting is "Homogeneity".

Running analysis with these settings activated - would that give a fair representation of the workload?!

I don't want the thread to be derailed by "agencies are robbing freelancers of their pennies" arguments. For agencies with inhouse translators, or translators working directly with end clients, it's a legitimate question.

Thanks a lot for your input!
Collapse

benk (X)
benk (X)
Gambia
Local time: 10:00
Abkhazian to Chamorro
Homogeneity Oct 7, 2013

CafeTran gives a homogeneity of 59 % for these lines.

Repeated segments value is 15 %.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:00
English to French
As fair as the discount for fuzzies Oct 7, 2013

Jan Sundström wrote:
In Studio, I could activate setting "Report internal fuzzy match analysis". In memoQ, I guess the equivalent setting is "Homogeneity".

Running analysis with these settings activated - would that give a fair representation of the workload?!

Initial assumption (to be verified in another lab):
A total weighted wordcount requires as much time to translate as a text with the same unweighted wordcount and without repeated or similar sentences.

Adding internal matches to the wordcount soup, I reply yes to your question, assuming that the match rate between a TM fuzzy and an internal fuzzy (a fuzzy in a temporary TM) is calculated the same way.
In other words, if you consistently save 30% of your time translating fuzzy matches, then you will also save 30% of your time translating internal matches.

For catalogues, the difference between option enabled and disabled can be HUGE. This is where this option is handy: forecasting purposes. Without derailing the thread, may I state that internal matches were categorised as "no match" segments before these options existed (except for SDLX).

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to analyze/count/estimate source with fragment assembly?!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »