Thread poster: Stuart Carthy
Stuart Carthy
Stuart Carthy  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:57
Japanese to English
Oct 16, 2013

Hello

I'm ready to get started as a freelance translator after signing with some agencies. However, I'm not sure which CAT to opt for. I'm a Japanese to English translator based in Japan.

I've seen posts saying don't get CAT until you know you need it etc.. But I think that I'll need one sooner or later anyway and it would raise my profile if I knew my way around one.

After a little research, I have narrowed down my options to Trados Freelancer 2014 or Me
... See more
Hello

I'm ready to get started as a freelance translator after signing with some agencies. However, I'm not sure which CAT to opt for. I'm a Japanese to English translator based in Japan.

I've seen posts saying don't get CAT until you know you need it etc.. But I think that I'll need one sooner or later anyway and it would raise my profile if I knew my way around one.

After a little research, I have narrowed down my options to Trados Freelancer 2014 or MemoQ and I was wondering what you guys think is the best.

Answers much appreciated.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 06:15 GMT]
Collapse

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Trados, of course Oct 16, 2013

Always choose the most popular one, but I don't think you need the latest version.

One good thing about Trados is you can get support whenever you have a problem. I have used Trados for almost seven years, and it has never let me down.

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 04:57
German to English
Not so simple Oct 16, 2013

The most popular doen't necessarily mean the best. I switched from Wordfast to MemoQ some years ago and have been completely satisfied. I tried Trados and found it extremely cumbersome. And the latest version of MemoQ can process Trados files and is less expensive.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 07:38 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
See also recent forum Oct 16, 2013

A similar current thread:

http://www.proz.com/topic/257900

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Try Fluency 2013 Oct 16, 2013

I have discovered and adopted Fluency for the past two years after several years with Wordfast.

Fluency really solves all problems one may have AND they have a fantastic team of devoted helpers (in the States) who are always ready and keen to answer your questions and solve your problems by mail.

Translating is really a pleasure with their interface, allowing you to get to Google translate or Linguee with a click without leaving your text. Everything is easy. All you
... See more
I have discovered and adopted Fluency for the past two years after several years with Wordfast.

Fluency really solves all problems one may have AND they have a fantastic team of devoted helpers (in the States) who are always ready and keen to answer your questions and solve your problems by mail.

Translating is really a pleasure with their interface, allowing you to get to Google translate or Linguee with a click without leaving your text. Everything is easy. All you need is clearly indicated. No fuss, no worry.

You can try it free for a suitable period of time and there is no pushing on their part to sell it to you.

Claudette Hepburn
Collapse

Diana Edmond
Diana Edmond
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:57
Member (2008)
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Either Oct 16, 2013

I use both Trados 2011 and MemoQ 6.2.

I work more with Trados because many of my clients require it, but I think MemoQ can be more user-friendly. Besides, I noticed that MemoQ opens files that Trados wouldn't open. Also, Trados sometimes lets me down just before a deadline, which can be really frustrating.

I would recommend downloading the trial version of these tools and see for yourself which one you like best.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 10:08 GMT]

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Try them and see which you prefer, but I would recommend MemoQ Oct 16, 2013

Diana Ciupe wrote:

I would recommend downloading the trial version of these tools and see for yourself which one you like best.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 10:08 GMT]

I think Diana's is definitely good advice. I used to use Trados Studio as an in-house translator as that's what my company used but switched to MemoQ when I went freelance, partly because one of my freelance clients occasionally set jobs that needed it. After the 45 day trial of MemoQ, I found it much more user-friendly and was able to do things with it that I hadn't been able to with Trados, and so was happy to spend my money on it. That was a decision I was in a position to make after having tried both for a reasonable period of time and is one that I am happy with.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Diana Oct 16, 2013

Diana Ciupe wrote:

Where can one download the trial version of Trados 2014?

Samuel

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:57
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
MemoQ Oct 16, 2013

I have had SDL Trados Studio for several years and recently purchased MemoQ. What a difference! As far as I can tell MemoQ does everything SDL Trados Studio does (including the abiliity to work on Studio packages and files) but does much more and faster and better. My only complaint is occasional crashes (maybe 1-2 times a day) when running on my XP machine but it restarts quickly so it's not really a problem compared to the many crashes and incomprehensible error messages SDL Trados Studio thro... See more
I have had SDL Trados Studio for several years and recently purchased MemoQ. What a difference! As far as I can tell MemoQ does everything SDL Trados Studio does (including the abiliity to work on Studio packages and files) but does much more and faster and better. My only complaint is occasional crashes (maybe 1-2 times a day) when running on my XP machine but it restarts quickly so it's not really a problem compared to the many crashes and incomprehensible error messages SDL Trados Studio throws at me. MemoQ doesn't give me this problem on my Win7 machine.

Furthermore, you can download a 45 day trial of MemoQ no problem. When I then had a glitch during the trial MemoQ support sent me a license that extended the trial for another 45 days. As well, MemoQ support is very good - response is quick, sometimes only a few hours.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 12:40 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Edmond
Diana Edmond
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
@ Samuel Oct 16, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Where can one download the trial version of Trados 2014?

Samuel

Samuel, according to their statement on the SDL official website, the trial version should be released soon. If you complete a small form, they will let you know when it happens.

Personally, I am not yet interested in upgrading, I'm still happy with what I have.

Stuart Carthy
Stuart Carthy  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:57
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 17, 2013

Hello Everyone

Thanks for the advice, I'm certainly going to think it over. Some of you made some really good points.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ Oct 17, 2013

Definitely memoQ: it's stable, fast, and easy to understand and use, all things Studio has proven not to be over the years.

(I also own a license of Studio just as an interface to those customers who have it, but translate everything --even Studio's files-- in memoQ).

Guillaume Chareyron
Guillaume Chareyron  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
memoQ Oct 17, 2013

Tomás wrote exactly what I wanted to write.
MemoQ is user-friendly and reliable. Everything goes smooth and the interface is great.
I do have Studio 2011 too, but use it only to check if everything is ok when translating Studio files (and it has always been ok so far).

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I love MemoQ Oct 17, 2013

It's the first time in years I've been really impressed with a piece of software.
It's also compatible with Trados so if you have Trados-loving clients, you can deliver their Trados-compatible files to them and still get to work in a software that is easy, user-friendly, has good support, has a pleasant user-interface, intuitive shortcuts and basically everything that Trados doesn't. (And no, I don't own shares in MemoQ but I've used both and was distinctly unimpressed by Trados).

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:57
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ Oct 17, 2013

MemoQ

Nikita Kobrin

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT: Trados Studio OR memoQ - which is best

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »