Is there really such a difference with Trados?
Thread poster: golf264
golf264
golf264  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 16, 2013

I understand that there are many different CAT tools out there, all with the aim to facilitate our work as translators.

However, it dawned upon me , that a large majority of the employers on this site, and I do not mean a majority compared with not using a CAT tool , but a majority compared to any other CAT program, i.e. among the employers that obligate using a CAT Tool, the overwhelming majority choose TRADOS . In other words, TRADOS is chosen more often than any other program in
... See more
I understand that there are many different CAT tools out there, all with the aim to facilitate our work as translators.

However, it dawned upon me , that a large majority of the employers on this site, and I do not mean a majority compared with not using a CAT tool , but a majority compared to any other CAT program, i.e. among the employers that obligate using a CAT Tool, the overwhelming majority choose TRADOS . In other words, TRADOS is chosen more often than any other program in itself.

The question I want to ask here: Is there really such a difference in quality when using TRADOS? Generally in life is the rule of thumb , the more you pay for something , the more you get in return, i.e. the quality becomes more as you pay more .

With such a hefty price tag that TRADOS has, and I have not checked the price actually since 2010, but assume that that would not have changed much, I can imagine that, in terms of functionality, TRADOS offers things not found in other programs, or better expressed, not found all combined in one package in that other program.

I myself have never used TRADOS , my experience is limited to Wordfast OmegaT and the like. It seems to me that an industry standard is being sought and as TRADOS has a hefty price , or maybe that's an incorrect characterization, and I should name it a big investment, it is assumed that the quality of the work will be better. Or maybe it's just the idea that the more a translator is willing to invest in his profession , the higher his reliability ?

I would just like to gauge on TRADOS , your opinions and comments and if you really recognize the difference, that could explain the preference of TRADOS under employers.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:39
Finnish to French
Try it out Nov 17, 2013

You said you already have experience with Wordfast, OmegaT "and the like". It would therefore be easy for you to give Trados (by which you surely mean "SDL Trados Studio") a try: all CAT tools basically work in a similar way; once you know a couple of them, it's not very hard to learn a new one (it's a bit like with languages). Just request a Studio 2014 trial, install it and you'll have 30 days to see for yourself whether it's worth the price that is being asked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there really such a difference with Trados?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »