Mark
Mark
Local time: 21:38
Italian to English
So, OmegaT? Nov 28, 2013

2nl wrote:
it should be possible to run any Java-based CAT tool on Android

http://www.omegat.org/en/requirements.html

"OmegaT will run on any system on which the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) has been or can be installed. The JRE is now supplied with OmegaT and need not be obtained separately. OmegaT has been successfully installed on Windows (all versions from 98 onwards), Macintosh OS X and Linux."

[Edited at 2013-11-28 08:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-28 08:16 GMT]

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
OmegaT Nov 28, 2013

OmegaT is java-based and should run wherever java does.

I have a Chromebook with an ARM processor, which I believe is the main platform for Android. I use Linux (Chrubuntu, or Ubuntu for the Chromebook) on it instead of the Google operating system, including OpenJDK java and OmegaT. I haven't had any problems with OmegaT - it works just as it does on my desktop computer.

... See more

I have a Chromebook with an ARM processor, which I believe is the main platform for Android. I use Linux (Chrubuntu, or Ubuntu for the Chromebook) on it instead of the Google operating system, including OpenJDK java and OmegaT. I haven't had any problems with OmegaT - it works just as it does on my desktop computer.

http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I differ Nov 28, 2013

absciarretta wrote:

but it's easier to use a tablet.

I dont think so. I could imagine working hours in a 9" display

portability? Well I think my i7 at 2.9 kHz and 16 GB, is very portable

A tablet is also where computers are moving to, like it or not.

No, it is not. This is valid only for consumers (anyway, they have never need a PC), they prefer to play games, be "social" and read news on the couch. We, professionals, always will need big screens to work.

Don't understand me wrong, I am a heavy user of tablets, but I use it as controller/tool, a kind of smart mouse.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Just a quick observation Nov 28, 2013

When I was visiting California in June, I was at a conference (political, nothing to do with translation), everyone and his brother was using a tablet. That is not the case in Germany, and so I conclude that tablet use is just not yet that widespread in some countries (yet). Just because it is where you live/work, doesn't mean that it has to be the same for everyone else anywhere else. Cultural awareness and all that...

I would venture to guess that tablets are also on an upward sa
... See more
When I was visiting California in June, I was at a conference (political, nothing to do with translation), everyone and his brother was using a tablet. That is not the case in Germany, and so I conclude that tablet use is just not yet that widespread in some countries (yet). Just because it is where you live/work, doesn't mean that it has to be the same for everyone else anywhere else. Cultural awareness and all that...

I would venture to guess that tablets are also on an upward sales trajectory in Europe, but at a slower pace, and guess where most CAT tools are made? In Europe, as far as I can think of off-hand without doing any research. It's as valid a statement as any to say that if and when there is a big enough market for Android-based CAT tools, they will become available. Obviously, that point has not been reached yet, or may not ever get there.

Personally, I would not use a tablet for work if I could possibly avoid it. I like big monitors for my method of doing things: one 27" for all my offline/online reference materials and e-mail, the 24" for my texts, using either two side-by-side (source and target) or a large-dimensioned CAT tool (memoQ or Trados Studio).

Edited to add last paragraph.

[Edited at 2013-11-28 13:22 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Bad idea Nov 28, 2013

Tablets were not designed for productivity. It doesn't make much sense to build a CAT tool for a platform that was just not designed for it, which is why nobody has done it. By definition, the main interface of a tablet is the touchscreen. Do you really want to translate on a touchscreen?
If you really want to do this sort of thing, get a MS Surface with full Win8 or use an in-browser solution like that Wordfast service. I for one would just buy an 11" or 13" laptop and call it a day. You
... See more
Tablets were not designed for productivity. It doesn't make much sense to build a CAT tool for a platform that was just not designed for it, which is why nobody has done it. By definition, the main interface of a tablet is the touchscreen. Do you really want to translate on a touchscreen?
If you really want to do this sort of thing, get a MS Surface with full Win8 or use an in-browser solution like that Wordfast service. I for one would just buy an 11" or 13" laptop and call it a day. You can't seriously say that the 11" macbook air is too bulky for the purpose.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
WoW! Nov 28, 2013

John Holland wrote:

http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html

Thank you for the information.

The new Chromebook (250 €) + OmegaT

Wow, I think I will buy one just in case my Mac had a Problem

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Display size Nov 28, 2013

The Transformer Book T100 display is as small as 10.1".
I can't imagine myself using any CAT software on such a tiny area.
At home I use a 22" monitor connected as the main display to a 15" laptop.

John Holland
France
French to English
@Fernando Toledo Nov 28, 2013

Fernando Toledo wrote:

The new Chromebook (250 €) + OmegaT

Wow, I think I will buy one just in case my Mac had a Problem

Just as a heads up, I have never used the Google Chrome OS, so I don't know anything about installing java and OmegaT on that.

I am a long-time Linux user, so installing Chrubuntu to an SD disk and booting from that to Xubuntu was not a problem. There are plenty of tutorials on line, though, and it's really not that hard if the directions are followed. For the Crubuntu installation script, see: http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/

In any case, it does work very well for me as a second, lightweight machine for traveling and so on.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, but does Java run on Android? Nov 28, 2013

John Holland wrote:

Yes, but does Java run on Android? I googled for it and found solutions that seemed geeky but nothing that would indicate that running Java programs on Android is a normal thing that anyone should be able to accomplish.

John Holland
France
French to English
I don't know Nov 28, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

John Holland wrote:

Yes, but does Java run on Android? I googled for it and found solutions that seemed geeky but nothing that would indicate that running Java programs on Android is a normal thing that anyone should be able to accomplish.

I don't know whether java runs on android or how to install it if it does.

All I know is that OpenJDK java does run on the ARM processor, in a chromebook with Ubuntu, and that ARM is a major Android platform.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
13" is enough Nov 28, 2013

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

The Transformer Book T100 display is as small as 10.1".
I can't imagine myself using any CAT software on such a tiny area.
At home I use a 22" monitor connected as the main display to a 15" laptop.

10" is probably not enough. I'm not planning to work on the T100, it's just for fun (of the kids, probably).

I do use CafeTran on my 13" MacBook Pro, however. So I can say that 13" is enough for some CAT tools. As a matter of fact: I can even use it on our 11" Asus Vivobook:

In small screen mode:

I wouldn't try to use memoQ, Wf Pro or Studio on a 13" screen. Transit NXT is possible, but suboptimal in terms of screen real-estate.

[Edited at 2013-11-28 18:25 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seriously? No CAT-tool for Android?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »