SDLX format painting
Thread poster: Guy Bray
Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:19
French to English
Nov 4, 2004

Does anyone have an idiot's guide to format painting? I've just acquired SDLX 2004 Build 15 Standard, and I can't extract a translation because it hangs up on too many segments that need format painting. SDLX's "How to format paint..." doesn't explain the procedures well, or even correspond to the drop-down paint menu. I've signed up for the online training session, but meanwhile: any suggestions?

Thanks.

Guy

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:19
French to German
+ ...
Mailinglist Nov 5, 2004

Guy,

The guys are very helpful.

[email protected]

And you can download the documentation:

http://www.sdl.com/products/products-support/products-support-documentation.htm

The document is right for you: How_to_Format_Paint_in_SDLX_2003.p
... See more
Guy,

The guys are very helpful.

[email protected]

And you can download the documentation:

http://www.sdl.com/products/products-support/products-support-documentation.htm

The document is right for you: How_to_Format_Paint_in_SDLX_2003.pdf

You can first ignore the error messages with Format Paint and work further. But compare your ready translation with the original because of the format...

Geneviève

PS: If you have more questions I can help you (in French;)) - Format paint is the weak point of SDLX.

[Edited at 2004-11-05 01:26]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Tools > Options > Format Paint tab Nov 5, 2004

Guy Bray wrote:

Does anyone have an idiot's guide to format painting? I've just acquired SDLX 2004 Build 15 Standard, and I can't extract a translation because it hangs up on too many segments that need format painting. SDLX's "How to format paint..." doesn't explain the procedures well, or even correspond to the drop-down paint menu. I've signed up for the online training session, but meanwhile: any suggestions?

Hi Guy,

Open SDL Edit (even without a translation document), and go to Tools > Options > Format Paint tab. Uncheck all options except "Double click word to include punctuation" and "Format paint red markers as a group".

Then (after enabling the format paint mode) you just click once on the left to select a format, and drag the brush over text on the right to format paint the text you want.

Hope that at the online training session they'll teach you also how to delete and clone formats. Very useful.

BTW you can upgrade to the SDLX 2004 Bonus Release free of charge.

HTH

Piotr

Piotr Rypalski
Piotr Rypalski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Another way out (may be tricky) Nov 5, 2004

And if nothing at all seems to work, another good idea is to remove your translation with wrong formatting (ctrl + X) and press F4. The original version will appear in the translation column and then you can insert your translation without even touching the tags (if a sentence order permits, obviously...)

Best,
Piotr

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Some more hints Nov 5, 2004

Piotr Rypalski wrote:

And if nothing at all seems to work, another good idea is to remove your translation with wrong formatting (ctrl + X) and press F4.

Well, yes, except that you don't have to "remove" your translation. Pressing F4 will simply replace target with source for the current segment, no CTRL-X required...

Another way, which might be helpful for some Fuzzy matches in particular, is to press CTRL+F4. This will leave target *text* untouched but will copy all formats from the source to the target, though at the very end of the segment. Again, only for the current segment. You then need to manually paste each format to the correct place. The advantage is that:
- you do not need to type your translation again
- you can be absolutely sure that each source format is actually present in the target sentence

Format Painting can be painful in some cases, however the basic principle is very simple and straight forward. The most common "mistake" is to keep the check mark for "Press to confirm format paste" (see Piotr's post above). I don't know why this is still the default setting after installation... but it is.

Good luck,
Stefan

Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:19
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 5, 2004

Thank you all very much. I have taken these suggestions under advisement, and will be trying them all out. I think one problem may be that they work fine for a simple segment(which is where I should practice, obviously, to learn the basics), but a number of my difficulties were in complex sentences, with five or so colors displayed, some of them one character long. I think SDLX underestimates the difficulties a beginner faces, and their manuals are not very good in this area.

Bu
... See more
Thank you all very much. I have taken these suggestions under advisement, and will be trying them all out. I think one problem may be that they work fine for a simple segment(which is where I should practice, obviously, to learn the basics), but a number of my difficulties were in complex sentences, with five or so colors displayed, some of them one character long. I think SDLX underestimates the difficulties a beginner faces, and their manuals are not very good in this area.

But I'm most grateful to you all.

Guy
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Colors vs. tags Nov 5, 2004

...but a number of my difficulties were in complex sentences, with five or so colors displayed, some of them one character long.

I find it easier to work with format tags instead of colors. Go to: View - Tags...

Also, sometimes the formatting is just garbage and can be deleted (go to Format Paint Mode, click a formatting in the source column and press Delete). But it depends on the document and doesn't have to be true in your case. You can check the sentence in the original document in Word and see if there are really so many formatting changes.

bmon
bmon
English
Format Painting...simplified Nov 12, 2004

Format Painting or Tags - Personal Preference...

Simple guide to format painting.

To modify/alter formatting on the target side.

Select format paint brush, highlight the desired formatting on the source side. Highlight what you would like to have with that formatting on the target side. Repeat as necessary

To Delete Formatting.

As we know we are never allowed to alter the original source document. So as an alternative we can delete
... See more
Format Painting or Tags - Personal Preference...

Simple guide to format painting.

Select format paint brush, highlight the desired formatting on the source side. Highlight what you would like to have with that formatting on the target side. Repeat as necessary

To Delete Formatting.

As we know we are never allowed to alter the original source document. So as an alternative we can delete the requirement of having the target side formatted the same as the source.

Simply select the format paint brush, on the source side, highlight the desired formatting you wish to remove for the target side. Press delete. Your source segment will be highlighted as purple[default] and your formatting on the target will be deleted. The purple highlighting signifies you have removed formatting for the target segment.

To Clone Formatting.

Useful if one requires multiple instances of the same formatting on the target side in different areas of the target segment.

Select the paint brush, highlight the source formatting you wish to clone. Highlight your desired format target[same as modify/alter]. While still having the source formatting highlighted, hold down the alt key while highlighting other
part(s) of the segment. This will allow you "Clone" the formatting.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:19
English to French
+ ...
Colors overlapping Oct 19, 2007

bmon wrote:

Hi,

I am so mad at myself for refusing a job because I do not master format painting...
I tried all I found in this post, and it worked partly.
But in one segment, blue was painted over two colors and the little middle yellow segment looks greenish. Also, the red line does not disapppear as it did in a previous all blue segment...
(I am training myself on that doc. I refused...)

Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
Just Clear and simple! Mar 13, 2008

bmon wrote:
Hope this helps.

Hi bmon
I had the same problem and was redirected to this topic.
Many thanks for the clear explanation. Highly appreciated!

Regards
Ali Al-awadi

Verónica Gauna Kroeger
Verónica Gauna Kroeger  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
great help! Dec 10, 2011

I´m just beginning with SDLX anf found bmon´s explanation so easy to understand.
Thanks!!

Verónica.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX format painting

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »