https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/26536-sdlx%3A_problem_with_conversion_of_html_files.html

SDLX: Problem with conversion of HTML files
Thread poster: Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:40
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 10, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I received 11 HTML files from my client and imported them to SDLX using the Project Wizard. This resulted in 11 (identical and almost empty) ITD files PLUS ONE ITD file (called _HTML000), which contained the whole text.

I translated the _HTML000 file and also "translated" the few words that were there to translate in the 11 other files. I also renamed them to "xxx (German)".

My client wants me to deliver the ITD files and the HTML files. My
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I received 11 HTML files from my client and imported them to SDLX using the Project Wizard. This resulted in 11 (identical and almost empty) ITD files PLUS ONE ITD file (called _HTML000), which contained the whole text.

I translated the _HTML000 file and also "translated" the few words that were there to translate in the 11 other files. I also renamed them to "xxx (German)".

My client wants me to deliver the ITD files and the HTML files. My problem is that I have 11 ITD files, which are basically empty plus one ITD file that was not there originally.

As for the HTML files, I do not seem to manage the conversion:

If I use "I want to use an existing project file" in the Project Wizard, I only get to chose a file named "ready for translation.spj". Clicking on "Next" and "Finish" only gives me exact copies of the original English HTML files.

If I use "I want to search for translation documents" in the Project Wizard, I do get to select my translated files. But they are converted to TXT files and not to HTML files.

What am I doing wrong? Can anybody help, please?

Thank you in advance,
Stefanie
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Glue Option Nov 10, 2004

Somewhere along the line when you use the wizard, you have the option of gluing all files together (it's often more convenient not to open-close-open-close. So do import the files again, but make sure to have the option unselected.

Best,
Esther

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ehm... Nov 10, 2004

Hi Esther,

Thank you so much for your suggestion! But would that mean that I have to copy and paste my translation into each single file? I have translated everything already in the "glued" file.

Stefanie

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
No no Nov 10, 2004

You have two options or a combination of the two:

1. Since you translated everything, you have it in your TM (create one and update it if you haven't already).Then reimport the files unglued, open them one at a time and use the "Apply" command. All the translation should be there. You save your itd and open the next file. You do the same for all your files. It will only take a few minutes.

2. You create the translations (all 11 translated files will be generated
... See more
You have two options or a combination of the two:

1. Since you translated everything, you have it in your TM (create one and update it if you haven't already).Then reimport the files unglued, open them one at a time and use the "Apply" command. All the translation should be there. You save your itd and open the next file. You do the same for all your files. It will only take a few minutes.

2. You create the translations (all 11 translated files will be generated at once) and you send the big itd to your client.

3. If you really want to send 11 itd files, you can still generate your translations in one step, then import the files and open them one by one.

Best,
Esther
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Some confusion, I think Nov 10, 2004

Hi Stefanie,

Could it be that the 11 ITDs you are talking about have a ".scr" between the file name and the extension ".itd"? These are the script parts that get extracted from the HTMLs when importing them into SDLX.

I understand you renamed files? You MUST NOT do this.

The big ITD containing all translatables from the individual files was generated because you didn't uncheck the "glue HTML files before processing" option at Import stage.

Anyw
... See more
Hi Stefanie,

Could it be that the 11 ITDs you are talking about have a ".scr" between the file name and the extension ".itd"? These are the script parts that get extracted from the HTMLs when importing them into SDLX.

I understand you renamed files? You MUST NOT do this.

The big ITD containing all translatables from the individual files was generated because you didn't uncheck the "glue HTML files before processing" option at Import stage.

Anyway, try renaming all files to their original names, then, from the Switchboard, choose "Project>Export files from a project", check "I want to search...", then browse to the folder where your ITDs are stored. Provided the itd files are named exactly like SDLX created them, the application will "unglue" the translated HTMLs automatically and you'll end up with 11 translated HTML files.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stefan
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked!! Nov 10, 2004

Thanks a million, Esther!!

I am always impressed by the multitude of hidden (to me at least) functions SDLX has...

Again, thank you for your quick help. You saved me!!

Stefanie

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Stefan Nov 11, 2004

Hi Stefan,

Probably that was my mistake here: Renaming the files.

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

Best,
Stefanie

Pura Murua
Pura Murua
Local time: 11:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Learner of SDLX.... Nov 12, 2004

Hello friends: I am an stone age translator and I need to learn how to use SDLX. Can anyone tell me how to get an SDLX Manual? I don't get how to make an .itd file using this CAT tool.Thank you.

bmon
bmon
English
Easy to download manuals in PDF... Nov 12, 2004

You can get documentation off the SDLX website - Try the main document "How to Use SDL Edit in SDLX 2004" which you can download at...

http://www.sdl.com/products-home/products/products-support/products-support-documentation/products-support-documentation-2004.htm

Loads of other doc
... See more
You can get documentation off the SDLX website - Try the main document "How to Use SDL Edit in SDLX 2004" which you can download at...

http://www.sdl.com/products-home/products/products-support/products-support-documentation/products-support-documentation-2004.htm

Loads of other documents there for you too. Otherwise contact the support team and inquire about their web training.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX: Problem with conversion of HTML files

Translation news related to CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »