Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What's are Good Lightweight Translation Softwares?
Thread poster: Paul999
Paul999
Paul999
Netherlands
Jun 2, 2014

I'm looking for translation software that's usefriendly and that above all is leightweight, a.k.a.. it loads fast.

I'm working on a somewhat low performance computer and I just trailed WordFast and MemoQ....
These take too long to load for my taste. I want something that loads quick, even if it means less functionality.

I'm just looking for something that's a good step up from using a regular text editor to do translations. Not a gas eating lamborgini that eats
... See more
I'm looking for translation software that's usefriendly and that above all is leightweight, a.k.a.. it loads fast.

I'm working on a somewhat low performance computer and I just trailed WordFast and MemoQ....
These take too long to load for my taste. I want something that loads quick, even if it means less functionality.

I'm just looking for something that's a good step up from using a regular text editor to do translations. Not a gas eating lamborgini that eats up all my PC recources.

The language I will be translating is English -> Dutch.

Any recommendations would be sweet as Google was not very helpful when I was trying to find something leightweight.

[Edited at 2014-06-02 11:32 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:30
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran! Jun 2, 2014

Hi Paul,

I just wrote an entire post and when I tried to post it, it disappeared. Hmm. Anyway, let me try again, but keep it short this time:

Might I recommend CafeTran. At only 3.5 MB it is one of the lightest CAt tools around. It runs on Java, so it runs on OS X, Windows and Linux. I’m biased (as I am active as a CT volunteer), but I really do think that it is THE best CAT tool available on the market today.

Have a look:

Official web
... See more
Hi Paul,

I just wrote an entire post and when I tried to post it, it disappeared. Hmm. Anyway, let me try again, but keep it short this time:

Might I recommend CafeTran. At only 3.5 MB it is one of the lightest CAt tools around. It runs on Java, so it runs on OS X, Windows and Linux. I’m biased (as I am active as a CT volunteer), but I really do think that it is THE best CAT tool available on the market today.

Have a look:

Official website (created by Igor, the developer): http://www.cafetran.republika.pl/
Volunteer-created website: http://cafetran.com/
Volunteer-created help site: http://cafetranhelp.com/

There are also quite a few of us over at the CafeTran mailing list (‘CafeTranslators’) with Dutch as one of our languages: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/cafetranslators

Michael
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:30
Japanese to English
+ ...
I hate that Jun 2, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi Paul,

Have a look:

Official website (created by Igor, the developer): http://www.cafetran.republika.pl/
Volunteer-created website: http://cafetran.com/
Volunteer-created help site: http://cafetranhelp.com/

There are also quite a few of us over at the CafeTran mailing list (‘CafeTranslators’) with Dutch as one of our languages: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/cafetranslators

Michael

This is why I always hit CTRL-A then CTRL-C before clicking Reply (or any other buttons that navigate you away from the page). So annoying when that happens.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:30
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Wordfast Classic Jun 2, 2014

WF is a good option if you want really lightweight combined with the ability to keep on working in office applications while you translate.
Unfortunately most of my clients work with different software and "strongly recommend" that I use the same, but I always enjoy returning to WF when it is possible.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran can handle tons of different file formats Jun 2, 2014

CafeTran can handle pretty much any file format, even packages and project files of other CAT tools, such as SDL and Transit packages, so there is no need to buy what the agency strongly suggests you buy. Oh yeah, and CT only costs €80.

Michael

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
(OT) For these cases... Jun 2, 2014

Orrin Cummins wrote:

This is why I always hit CTRL-A then CTRL-C before clicking Reply (or any other buttons that navigate you away from the page). So annoying when that happens.

I would recommend Lazarus. It works for Firefox, Chrome and Safari. I would never again do without it.

http://getlazarus.com/

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:30
Japanese to English
+ ...
Nice Jun 2, 2014

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Orrin Cummins wrote:

I would recommend Lazarus. It works for Firefox, Chrome and Safari. I would never again do without it.

http://getlazarus.com/

Just installed it - thanks for the tip.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT Jun 2, 2014

OmegaT loads quickly and requires 5 minutes to learn the basics (the respective instructions are displayed right on the start screen). And it’s free (as in ‘freedom’) software.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I'd say: WFC Jun 2, 2014

Paul999 wrote:

I started the CAT tools on my computer three times in a row and wrote down how many seconds it takes them to fully start up:

WFC = 6, 5, 5
CafeTran = 9, 3, 2
WFP = 13, 11, 5
OmegaT = 11, 15, 10
TagEditor = 16, 11, 9
Trados 2011 = 25, 11, 60+

On your computer you may get different results. But when I saw your question, I immediately thought of WFC, because way back when I used a very slow computer I found that WFC was just as fast as anything else on a faster computer. I have no experience with CafeTran.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
upgrade to SSD Jun 2, 2014

Paul999 wrote:

If you want to load software fast, upgrade your hard drive to an SSD. Over here (Finland), I can get a 240 GB Kingston SSD for less than 100 euros:

This would make a huge difference. If your computer is slow because it's from the XP era, forget about SSD's (they require Windows 7 or newer for optimal operation).

Regarding the recommendation to use CafeTran, keep in mind it's fast because it loads everything into RAM. If you work with large TM's and have an old clunky XP PC with 1 GB of RAM, you can probably forget about it. Michael probably has a turbo-charged beast of a computer with 32 GB of RAM...

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran is a lightweight champion on old hardware too. Jun 2, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Paul999 wrote:

If you want to load software fast, upgrade your hard drive to an SSD. Over here (Finland), I can get a 240 GB Kingston SSD for less than 100 euros:

This would make a huge difference. If your computer is slow because it's from the XP era, forget about SSD's (they require Windows 7 or newer for optimal operation).

Regarding the recommendation to use CafeTran, keep in mind it's fast because it loads everything into RAM. If you work with large TM's and have an old clunky XP PC with 1 GB of RAM, you can probably forget about it. Michael probably has a turbo-charged beast of a computer with 32 GB of RAM...

Totally agree about the SSD. If you want speed, you really should get one. These days, I wouldn’t even consider building a PC anymore without an SSD.

Dominique is also right about my computer; I’m running CafeTran on a fairly powerful Windows PC (16GB RAM, SSD, i7). However, I also use CafeTran on a shitty old Toshiba laptop, which, although it also has an SSD, is running on an ancient super-budget Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM. CafeTran works very well on this computer too. Even faster than, say, SDL Studio or memoQ on my desktop.

Also keep in mind that startup times say very little about how responsive and fast a program will feel once it is actually open. Furthermore, Wordfast Classic and CafeTran represent two entirely different approaches to translation (CT = grid-based, whereas WFC is Word-based). Your favourite approach will therefore probably dictate whether you would want to try out WFC or CT first. Also, CT is a lot cheaper.

Michael

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Laptop with 4 GB and SSD Jun 2, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:
However, I also use CafeTran on a shitty old Toshiba laptop, which, although it also has an SSD, is running on an ancient super-budget Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM. CafeTran works very well on this computer too. Even faster than, say, SDL Studio or memoQ on my desktop.

In my books, a laptop with 4 GB of RAM and an SSD doesn't qualify as "shitty".

Paul didn't give specifics about what makes his computer "somewhat low performance".

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
More about WFC versus CafeTran Jun 3, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:
Might I recommend CafeTran. At only 3.5 MB it is one of the lightest CAt tools around. It runs on Java...

Installer size is no indication of how fast a program will start up. CafeTran's installer is 3.5 MB but it requires Java, which is about 100 MB. So it's really more in the region of 103.5 MB. Even so, the size of the program is no indication of how slow or fast the program itself will start up (and as you said in another post, how fast it starts is no indication of how fast it runs during translation).

CafeTran supports only DOCX, not DOC, and not RTF either.

CafeTran's demo mode allows 30 segments and stops working after 30 days. WFC's demo mode allows an endless number of segments (a TM limit of 500 segments), and never stops working. This is probably why I never really invested any time in trying out CafeTran (beyond installing it) because very few of my jobs are less than 30 segments long.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
CafeTran Jun 3, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
CafeTran supports only DOCX, not DOC, and not RTF either.

This is mostly a problem if you don't have a copy of MS-Word installed (that could be the case of most Linux users). Otherwise, it's just a question of saving your DOC/RTF as DOCX, an extra step, but not the end of the world.
Samuel Murray wrote:
CafeTran's demo mode allows 30 segments and stops working after 30 days.

I agree the overly restrictive demo mode of CafeTran unnecessarily hurts its adoption.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
CafeTran's demo mode: quite generous? Jun 3, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

CafeTran's demo mode allows 30 segments and stops working after 30 days.

There seems to be some misunderstanding about CafeTran's demo mode. Please see:

http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/262634-no_switch_to_restricted_demo_mode.html

Martin's post, at the end of the thread.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's are Good Lightweight Translation Softwares?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »