How to translate the labels (images) in embedded graphic images in a word (docx) file?
Thread poster: Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:30
Finnish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2014

A client has sent me a .docx file consisting of embedded graphic images (histograms) with the labels.

From the instructions I understand that they want a target .docx file consisting of embedded graphic images (histograms) with the labels translated.

I have been able to extract the labels (images) by converting the.docx file to PDF and then using OCR.

I realise that this could be done easily with a good PDF converter program such as Abby FineReader, and I h
... See more
A client has sent me a .docx file consisting of embedded graphic images (histograms) with the labels.

From the instructions I understand that they want a target .docx file consisting of embedded graphic images (histograms) with the labels translated.

I have been able to extract the labels (images) by converting the.docx file to PDF and then using OCR.

I realise that this could be done easily with a good PDF converter program such as Abby FineReader, and I have done this in the past when I have had a valid trial version.

However, I am not in a position to purchase said software and I am reluctant to spend hours searching for other trial software that will work without limitations [I do have some painful experience of this ].

I would also imagine that one may be able to do this with Trados, but I only have access to Wordfast (Classic & Pro) and OmegaT.

Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Thanks,

Graeme
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:30
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Embedded objects Sep 10, 2014

A CAT tool such as memoQ will translate embedded objects. Use "Import with options...". You can use a free trial version - the full version is good for 45 days (if I remember right) free of charge and then becomes a limited version unless you buy it.

Another possibility is to extract the embedded text manually, but I haven't yet been able to get the final step to work. To try this, rename the .docx extension to .zip, then extract with a decompressing tool such as 7-Zip. Inside t
... See more
A CAT tool such as memoQ will translate embedded objects. Use "Import with options...". You can use a free trial version - the full version is good for 45 days (if I remember right) free of charge and then becomes a limited version unless you buy it.

Another possibility is to extract the embedded text manually, but I haven't yet been able to get the final step to work. To try this, rename the .docx extension to .zip, then extract with a decompressing tool such as 7-Zip. Inside the resulting folders you will find a folder called Embedded, or something like that. The embedded objects are in this folder and can be edited. The result can then be zipped up again and renamed back to a .docx file.

That said, any time I have tried this it has failed to reopen as a .docx, with the warning "Corrupted content". I know this process has worked for others, so I am doing something wrong at the last step. I suspect it has something to do with the character set, but since I have memoQ which will do it automatically I haven't pursued it to find out what's wrong.

[Edited at 2014-09-10 11:28 GMT]
Collapse

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:30
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 10, 2014

John Fossey wrote:

Another possibility is to extract the embedded text manually, but I haven't yet been able to get the final step to work. To try this, rename the .docx extension to .zip, then extract with a decompressing tool such as 7-Zip. Inside the resulting folders you will find a folder called Embedded, or something like that. The embedded objects are in this folder and can be edited. The result can then be zipped up again and renamed back to a .docx file.

That said, any time I have tried this it has failed to reopen as a .docx, with the warning "Corrupted content". I know this process has worked for others, so I am doing something wrong at the last step. I suspect it has something to do with the character set, but since I have memoQ which will do it automatically I haven't pursued it to find out what's wrong.

[Edited at 2014-09-10 11:28 GMT]

Thanks John,

In the end they assigned the task to someone else, but now I know what to try next time something like this comes up.

[Edited at 2014-09-10 11:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-10 11:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate the labels (images) in embedded graphic images in a word (docx) file?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »