Mobile menu

A freeware tool for translation of LaTeX and other plain text files
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev
Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 12:32
English to Russian
Jan 3, 2005

Hi, all

This message is for fellow translators who are going to search the forum archive about translation of LaTeX files. Early in 2004 I had a large Latex job which I managed to complete because I tagged Latex code with a series of find/replace passes. Tagging is merely straightening the code and applying tw4winInternal or tw4winExternal to Latex commands.

When I was ding the job I recorded and modified the passes, but later, when I wanted to share this knowledge, I discovered that there were plenty of Latex dialects, therefore I had to move the commands and text strings out of the VBA code. The resulting Tortoise tagger, works with a taglist consisting of text strings to format or replace and commands to Word's F/R dialog, therefore, it is possible to customize the tagging procedure for any new Latex dialect and virtually any plain text format (I have reports of successful use of the tagger for processing InDesign and XML, and I made a procedure to tag game code containing text gaming messages). The taglist is simply an action script for Word's F/R function which anyone can use, understand, modify or create, without any extensive computing knowledge. The tagger works in batch mode.

The tagger was originally created for use with Wordfast (it can fuzzy WF glossaries) but it will produce documents ready for translation with Trados, and, following advice from DV list, hopefully, it will help to translate Latex in DV too.

The tagger is available for download at http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm The archives also include a 25-page manual and some example files which can help in getting used to Latex and tagging in general. The version is 1.01 final, no bugs are around and no more 'features' seemingly need to be implemented.

Since I have no time to promote the tagger extensively, please, spread the news that there is a reliable Latex filter, and here is some search spam at the bottom: Latex LaTeX TEX tex Tex beginlatex Latex syntax translating Latex tagging Latex filter.

Stay well
Alex

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Thanks for the link! Jan 4, 2005

I bookmarked your site and will get back to it if Latex-jobs arrive. Probably Herman Bruns, the creator of Metatexis, would be interested to adopt your filters.
Regards
Heinrich

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
The filters are not really mine :) Jan 4, 2005

... would be interested to adopt your filters.

Hi, Heinrich, thanks for your kind words, the filters are not really mine, the idea was suggested to me by someone from Wordfast list.
My kinda achievement is that I realized that if I kept the strings in the program code I would be doomed to forever support the tagger, therefore I thought up the taglist concept which makes it possible *to anyone* to stretch the tagger's capabilities to the limits I cannot even imagine, for my knowledge of the various PITA formats is small, for instance, you can even tag first and then, after translation, run an untagging pass.
My wish is to somehow enourage pals to make their taglists public (the idea that has surely failed with TMs and glossaries, naturally) and make life a bit better for each other.
Stay well
Alex

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
One question about Metatexis Jan 4, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote: Probably Herman Bruns, the creator of Metatexis, would be interested to adopt your filters.

Well, I guess I should regard it as praise, but the question is: Is Metatexis a sort of "blackbox" software, similar to DV and SDLX, where if you wish to customize anything you need to submit a request and wait half a year?
If so, please, note, that despite its modesty, Tortoise Tagger has one big advantage: *anyone* can expand its capability.
That's it
Alex

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Re metatexis Jan 5, 2005

The developer of metatexis is member at Proz.com and answers very promptly to questions and suggestions. If there are problems one can send him the file and he will mend the bug at once if there was one.
Regards
Heinrich

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Good news :) Jan 5, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote: The developer of metatexis ... will mend the bug at once if there was one.

That's a heartening trend! I already know another developer with the same approach, hopefully, around 2015 this attitude will be a common rule, not an exception.

Stay well
Aleksandr

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
More formats added Mar 12, 2005

The tagger can now tag InDesign and Quark Express files after Story Collector, Frame Maker MIF files, Ventura Publisher export text files and XML.
Some of the tagging scripts have been contributed by the users who successfully completed jobs using it.
Stay well!
Alex

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:32
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I am translating po/Gettext-based files (OpenOffice help) Apr 2, 2006

Hi Alex: ....and poEdit is just not the right kind of environment for me (probably pampered by years of using CAT tools)

So ... is there a way I could use your tagger to create decently tagged files to translate them and then push them back into the gettext form? I'm staring right now at sentences to be translated like the following one

\\[link href=\\\"text/smath/01/02110000.xhp\\\" name=\\\"Previous Error\\\"\\]Previous Error\\[/link\\] (*)

saying "This is unreal" - I chose a short example of course, but you get the idea.

Any practical suggestions?

btw, what about a forum or thread on OpenSource subjects? There must be a watering hole somewhere around here, where this kind of animals gather...

smo

PS: I translitted bigger/less than signs to show the code
PPS: Oops, this thread has been cold for more than a year...

[Edited at 2006-04-02 07:00]

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
What is to be translated??? Apr 2, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:\\[link href=\\\"text/smath/01/02110000.xhp\\\" name=\\\"Previous Error\\\"\\]Previous Error\\[/link\\] (*) gather...

When you know what is it that must be translated, things get much easier.

PS: I translitted bigger/less than signs to show the code

< is & l t ; (without spaces)
> is & g t ; (-ditto-)

Oops, this thread has been cold for more than a year...

Year, rotten flesh, drying bones and worms all over the place.

Please, drop me a line via my profile. The only thing the tagger cannot tag is XML because Word stupidly tries to open it 'cleverly' and messes up the whole thing. All other formats are done nicely.

Cheers,
Aleksandr

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 11:32
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Any news for LaTex Nov 28, 2007

Hello,

are there any news for translating LaTex files with Trados or other TMS tools?

Thanks

Hans

Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 18:32
Japanese to French
+ ...
CAT for Latex files Jan 3, 2008

You can use OmegaT for Latex files. Create a few segmentation rules to separate most of the tags so as to have "clean" translatable segments and go ahead.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A freeware tool for translation of LaTeX and other plain text files

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs