Help for thesis on CAT tools
Thread poster: Gloria Nobili

Gloria Nobili
Italy
Local time: 06:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 4, 2005

Hello everybody. I'm writing my thesis on CAT tools and specifically I'm making a comparison between Trados, Wordfast, Deja vu and Transit.
If you are familiar with the use of one this software, I would be really grateful if you could explain me why you would use that specific tool instead of an another.
Thank you for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Link to another thesis Jan 4, 2005

Hi,

Here is the link to a thesis on CAT tools that is hosted on my website. You can also get in touch with the author of the thesis, I am sure he will provide you with some insight.

http://www.transsoft.pl/en/translator_tools.html

Good luck,

Romuald

Gloria Nobili
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx a lot Jan 4, 2005

Thank you for your suggestion. I think it will be extremly useful.

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
What about MetaTexis? Jan 4, 2005

Hello,

I suggest you also include MetaTexis in the list of CAT tools compared. For more information see www.metatexis.com. There you can download a trial version and a comprehensive manual.

Best regards
Hermann

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
some suggestions Jan 5, 2005

For a good thesis one would probably need more than asking people questions about their software. One interesting approach would be to analyse the userforums for those specific software brands at Yahoo and find out, what bothers users most and if there are CATs that are easier to use than others, compared to the complaints and the user base (number of participants in those forums). This would result in a scientifically sound thesis.
Regards
Heinrich

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Some reasons Jan 5, 2005

I mostly use Trados and SDLX and more seldomly other tools.
Some of the reasons I can think of are:

Price - some of the "big" CAT tools are quite expensive, so if you're e.g. not a full time freelancer, you may not want to spend too much money on CAT tools.

Userfriendliness - CAT tools are mostly large programs with many features that are complicated to install and use, and if you're not really good at computers, you may experience some problems, which make it too difficult to use. Some tools can be difficult to troubleshoot in case of problems.

Tradition - When I started in the translation business as an inhouse translator, I learned to use Trados. So now I know all the tips, tricks and loopholes in the program which enables me to solve almost any problem with it. Another tradition aspect could be the mere fact that Trados AFAIK is the most widely used CAT tool. Often the clients (translation agencies) require you to use a specific CAT tool (sometimes their own tool, yuk!).

Finally I can think of reasons like: what file formats the CAT tool supports, which is very important; extra features like: spell checking, printout, alignment, terminology, TM maintenance, and code verification capabilities.

Maybe your survey should also include SDLX which is also one of the standard CAT tools according to the World Bank Translation Business Survey.

Jørgen

[Edited at 2005-01-05 09:38]

[Edited at 2005-01-05 09:40]

Gloria Nobili
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thesis approach Jan 5, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

For a good thesis one would probably need more than asking people questions about their software. One interesting approach would be to analyse the userforums for those specific software brands at Yahoo and find out, what bothers users most and if there are CATs that are easier to use than others, compared to the complaints and the user base (number of participants in those forums). This would result in a scientifically sound thesis.
Regards
Heinrich

Dear Mr Pesch,
of course my thesis would not simply rely on "asking people questions about their software". Actually, it is almost done, and I only needed some further opinions to complete my work.
Thanks a lot for the Yahoo suggestion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help for thesis on CAT tools

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs