How to process MIF with AlignFactory?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:31
Jul 22, 2015

What is a good workflow to process MIF files (or any other file formats that aren't supported) with AlignFactory Light?

From the YouAlign page:

AlignFactory engine, which supports all kinds of formats, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, PDF, HTML, XML, Corel WordPerfect, RTF, Lotus WordPro and plain text.

Are there any good alternatives to AlignFactory Light?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Via XLIFF? Jul 23, 2015

How about converting source and target to XLIFF first? After all XLIFF is XML (which is supported by AF). Any tips here?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Jul 23, 2015

You're probably on the right track there: process the files with a CAT tool to convert them into a format that AF can import. Not sure if XLIFF will be correctly imported by some sort of generic XML import filter, but I guess it's worth a try. I can't give you specifics because they depend on what CAT you're using and what formats AF supports. If your CAT has some kind of Office or txt export format, that will probably work. You can also manually process the xliff if needed. Some smart search an... See more
You're probably on the right track there: process the files with a CAT tool to convert them into a format that AF can import. Not sure if XLIFF will be correctly imported by some sort of generic XML import filter, but I guess it's worth a try. I can't give you specifics because they depend on what CAT you're using and what formats AF supports. If your CAT has some kind of Office or txt export format, that will probably work. You can also manually process the xliff if needed. Some smart search and replace can convert it into txt.

I recently added sdlxliff support to LF Aligner for this exact purpose: it basically extends filetype support to all filetypes supported by Studio. It may or may not work correctly with generic XLIFF, and the new version with this feature has not yet been released, so I'm just noting this to say that the CAT->aligner route is a good one - especially if you hope to get 100% matches.
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Jul 23, 2015

FarkasAndras wrote:

I recently added sdlxliff support to LF Aligner for this exact purpose: it basically extends filetype support to all filetypes supported by Studio. It may or may not work correctly with generic XLIFF, and the new version with this feature has not yet been released, so I'm just noting this to say that the CAT->aligner route is a good one - especially if you hope to get 100% matches.

I'm sure that Michael (grote smurf) will test the compatibility with CafeTran's XLIFF (which as far as I know is very generic). Let's wait for his test report.

In the meantime I'll sent Terminotix a message.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Invitation Jul 23, 2015

I've received an invitation from Terminotix to send some example MIF and XLIFF files, for further investigation. Will do so. To be continued...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to process MIF with AlignFactory?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »