Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:54
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2005

I am working in SDLX on Word documents pre-segmented in Trados and converted to SDLX.
For a few segments, I am prompted to apply format paint after translating them. Nothing unusual in that. But when I click on the paint brush, a number appears after the words in the source secton of the screen that isn't there when I'm not in format painting mode. The programme makes it look as if I forgot to translate the number. But when I switch off format painting, the number disappears again from the source section! I have never seen things appear and disappear from the left hand source column before and don't know whether to type in the number in the target column or not.

Direct link Reply with quote
Virginia Parades
Local time: 10:54
English to Spanish
Eye button or support on line may be of help Feb 9, 2005

Hi, Anne

Probably, you have already tried this... But just in case...

First, I will check in the Word original document to see if the number is there or not.

If so, I will click on the eye icon to see if the converted document has the number even if you haven't included it.

Sometimes, the itd extract parts of the text like code or other segments the program recognized as "code" but when you convert the itd it appears on the final document.

If I need to make any changes on this "extracted segments"
I normally make them at the end, on the converted file, just to be on the safe side.

If the number is not there, I guess the problem is due to the trados conversion. SDL has an on-line support. They may be able to help.

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
English to German
This should be ok Feb 9, 2005

Hi Anne,

If the numbers only appear in the source and disappear once you exit format painting mode, this should be fine. Don't worry. Trados-prepared files sometimes behave like this in format painting mode.

You might even come across fuzzy matches from your TM, where the source column displays the "old" translation rather than the new source when you switch to format painting mode. I first thought this was a bug, but actually, it's a handy feature

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2004: ghost numbers appearing during format painting

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs