What is the best way to update a document?
Thread poster: wang_danny_j
wang_danny_j
wang_danny_j
English
Mar 11, 2005

One of my clients updates his English User Guide every quarter and asks me to update the translated document. However, since he cannot mark the changes, I have to go over the whole document and implement the changes.

I used to run Fussy Translation but Trados damages the heavy layout, which means that I have to fix the file layout even if only 10% of text was changed (Time consuming). Another problem with the fussy translation is that I must check the results manually as I cannot 10
... See more
One of my clients updates his English User Guide every quarter and asks me to update the translated document. However, since he cannot mark the changes, I have to go over the whole document and implement the changes.

I used to run Fussy Translation but Trados damages the heavy layout, which means that I have to fix the file layout even if only 10% of text was changed (Time consuming). Another problem with the fussy translation is that I must check the results manually as I cannot 100% count on the TM which sometimes is being modified by the client. Of course that the client is not willing to pay for the repetitions as he asks only to translate the changes.

I know I can use compare documents feature of MS_Word but I consider it as a poor solution as it increases my work and make the TM updating more complicated.

I'll appreciate any ideas as I encounter this issue in TXT (Strings), FrameMaker and MS_Word translations.

BTW- Does someone familiar with X-Trados?

Thanks in advance for your answer

Wang Danny J
China
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best way to update a document?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »