https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/30466-logitrans_vs_trados.html

Off topic: Logitrans vs Trados
Thread poster: France Gionet (X)
France Gionet (X)
France Gionet (X)
English to French
Mar 15, 2005

I see here on this site mixtes reviews about Logitrans and Trados....I am wondering which one is more popular, easy to use and widely accepted? I am going to purchase a CAT tool very shortly, but Trados seems much more expensive than Logitrans...should I still invest in it? I have used Trados before and really like it, but is it the Ultimate tool?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:34
German to Spanish
Trados vs what? Mar 15, 2005

Sorry, I never hear about this Logitrans. Can you tell us more about?

Rgds

Toledo

France Gionet (X)
France Gionet (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Terminotix product Mar 15, 2005

Toledo wrote:

Sorry, I never hear about this Logitrans. Can you tell us more about?

Rgds

Toledo

Hello!
Logitrans is a complex tool translation tool from Terminotix Inc. Check out http://www.terminotix.com/ to find out more about the tool itself....

Thanks,
France

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
SDLX Mar 15, 2005

france gionet wrote:

Logitrans is a complex tool translation tool from Terminotix Inc. Check out http://www.terminotix.com/ to find out more about the tool itself....

They give no prices, offer no trial version. Poor marketing -- doesn't bode well for support.

You might want to check out SDLX instead. You can try the fully functional version for one month and the pricing is clear (although you can get a better price when they have a sale, about twice a year).

http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products/sdlx.htm

http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products/sdlx/products-pricing.htm

Best,
Esther

JCEC
JCEC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:34
English to French
I beg your pardon Mar 16, 2005

Hello France,

I'm intrigued by your comment regarding the mixed reviews about LogiTrans and TRADOS on ProZ.com.

LogiTrans is a product virtually unknown outside of Canada. Although it has been on the market for several years, it has very little market penetration probably for the very reasons mentioned in the preceding post. Furthermore, to my knowledge, it has never been mentioned on this site before as opposed to well-established Canadian products like MultiTrans and,
... See more
Hello France,

I'm intrigued by your comment regarding the mixed reviews about LogiTrans and TRADOS on ProZ.com.

LogiTrans is a product virtually unknown outside of Canada. Although it has been on the market for several years, it has very little market penetration probably for the very reasons mentioned in the preceding post. Furthermore, to my knowledge, it has never been mentioned on this site before as opposed to well-established Canadian products like MultiTrans and, of course, Fusion Translate.

TRADOS is the leading product worldwide and many agencies require compatibility with TRADOS which is an additional incentive to purchase the product. But there are other good products which are worth considering like DejaVu, SDLX and Wordfast.

Regards,

John
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
With Esther Mar 16, 2005

I agree with Esther.

To be quite honest, I partly use SDLX because I use to work at SDL. But to me, it's also a question of the beautifully simple user interface which I would hate to stop using. Two vertical columns: source to the left, target to the right.

And it's much cheaper.

A job was recently posted on Proz stating that the use of Trados was "mandatory". I called to respectfully suggest that it was not...
See more
I agree with Esther.

To be quite honest, I partly use SDLX because I use to work at SDL. But to me, it's also a question of the beautifully simple user interface which I would hate to stop using. Two vertical columns: source to the left, target to the right.

And it's much cheaper.

A job was recently posted on Proz stating that the use of Trados was "mandatory". I called to respectfully suggest that it was not and explained why. I was awarded the task, and have just completed another one for the same client. You can import a Trados TM into SDLX, do the work and then re-export the TM so that Trados can understand it. You can also deliver the files in the Trados format, or in the original format.

Trados does have some functionalities which SDLX doesn't - the extent to which you need them is is best decided upon by you, having checked the vendors' websites and read the Proz fora. Try e.g. :http://www.proz.com/post/141438#141438

Having said all this, and if price is an issue, MarcPrior gave a very interesting presentation of Omega T - which is free - at the Düsseldorf PowWow last year. I haven't had time to try it out yet, but I certainly respect Marc's judgement. You'll find the download path in the above forum.

Bonne chance
Chris Irwin

[Edited at 2005-03-16 10:47]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:34
German to Spanish
And yesterday I saw.. Mar 16, 2005

one where SDLX Suite was "mandatory"

Textklick wrote:
A job was recently posted on Proz stating that the use of Trados was "mandatory". I called to respectfully suggest that it was not and explained why...

B

[Edited at 2005-03-16 10:47]

Well, it was posted by SDL

Rgds

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Wouldn't you? Mar 16, 2005

Hola Toledo,

Please remember that - unlike Trados - SDL plc is both a leading global L10N company and also a software vendor, with SDLX and its further range of solutions.

The company handles massive concurrent projects in up to ??? languages and needs to manage a structured and tightly efficient workflow, which means a requirement for uniformity of applications from all suppliers.

Like anyone, they have every right to impose whatever they want on their the
... See more
Hola Toledo,

Please remember that - unlike Trados - SDL plc is both a leading global L10N company and also a software vendor, with SDLX and its further range of solutions.

The company handles massive concurrent projects in up to ??? languages and needs to manage a structured and tightly efficient workflow, which means a requirement for uniformity of applications from all suppliers.

Like anyone, they have every right to impose whatever they want on their their potential suppliers.

Conversely to the situation I described above, you could try to explain to them why you prefer - or they should use - 'WhateverotherCATtool.exe', but I think you will understand that the likelihood of success would be thin.

(N.B. I have edited this after my first post, which was possibly a little terse, as I didn't want you to get the wrong impression. When it comes to taking sides, I am on the side of my fellow translators and the greater good of our profession.

Cheers

Chris

[Edited at 2005-03-17 19:05]

[Edited at 2005-03-17 19:08]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Logitrans vs Trados

Translation news related to CAT tools

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »