What is a .docx_eng-gb and how can I open it?
Thread poster: hbraiden
hbraiden
hbraiden
France
Local time: 11:01
French to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2016

Hi everyone

I'm doing a quality control review for an agency and have been sent the translation in .docx_eng-gb format (I have never heard of this!). I haven't been able to open it in either MemoQ or Trados and I don't seem to be able to convert it into any other format using any of the free conversion software online. I'm usually able to open .docx files without any problems but I think the _eng-gb extension is the p
... See more
Hi everyone

I'm doing a quality control review for an agency and have been sent the translation in .docx_eng-gb format (I have never heard of this!). I haven't been able to open it in either MemoQ or Trados and I don't seem to be able to convert it into any other format using any of the free conversion software online. I'm usually able to open .docx files without any problems but I think the _eng-gb extension is the problem here...
Does anyone have any idea how I can open these files?
Any help would be massively appreciated as I am panicking a bit now!

Thanks!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Just an incorrect filename Sep 22, 2016

This is definitely not an extension, somebody must have mistaken with the filename. This may be a txml, or a zip - whatever. If you cannot guess what type of the file it is by opening it in some viewer (the first line usually helps to understand what type of the file it is), just don't waste your time and ask the client to re-send you the file with the correct filename.

Natalia

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Rename the extension and open in Word Sep 22, 2016

hbraiden wrote:

Hi everyone

I'm doing a quality control review for an agency and have been sent the translation in .docx_eng-gb format (I have never heard of this!). I haven't been able to open it in either MemoQ or Trados and I don't seem to be able to convert it into any other format using any of the free conversion software online. I'm usually able to open .docx files without any problems but I think the _eng-gb extension is the problem here...
Does anyone have any idea how I can open these files?
Any help would be massively appreciated as I am panicking a bit now!

Thanks!

Try renaming the end to: "...eng-gb.docx" and try to open in Word. Looks like the extension got messed up.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:01
Danish to English
+ ...
.docx? Sep 22, 2016

Have you tried to rename it to .docx and open it with Word?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Is your computer set to display file extensions? Sep 23, 2016

hbraiden wrote:
I'm doing a quality control review for an agency and have been sent the translation in .docx_eng-gb format (I have never heard of this!).

Is your computer set to display file extensions? I mean, if you create a new file called "hello" in Notepad, is the name of that file "hello" or "hello.txt"?

hbraiden
hbraiden
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 23, 2016

Hi guys, thanks for the replies!
I wasn't able to change the file name as I don't think my computer is set to display the extensions! However, I was able to open it using a Word Viewer programme and it seemed to be an .xml file... which I had no idea what to do with :/
They sent me the files in .xlf format this morning so it's all sorted now!

Thanks again for your help

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Showing file extensions Sep 23, 2016

It's easy to show file extensions. In recent versions of Windows it's in the folder ribbon:

SnipImage

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a .docx_eng-gb and how can I open it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »