Mobile menu

CAT tool for iPad Pro? Any that works on iOS?
Thread poster: Mara Fernandez
Mara Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3

Hello!

I am an interpreter who's recently started to take small translations projects which i was working on using CafeTran in my MacBook Pro, however while traveling i do not pack my MacBook because its a very heavy (older) version and would love to know if there are any CAT tools that I can use on my iPad while away. So far, i have been looking for apps with no luck so would appreciate any information regarding the matter!

Thank you all!

Direct link Reply with quote

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Local time: 01:05
Member (2016)
Any browser-based online CAT tool should do Apr 3

memsource, wordbee, wordfast anywhere etc. Michael Beijer made a list of these:

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/306817-making_a_comprehensive_list_of_all_online_cat_tools_currently_available_pls_help.html

[Edited at 2017-04-03 21:02 GMT]

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
And dictation software as well Apr 3

It's been shown that typing on a hard flat surface is bad for your fingers in the long term. If you value your hands, you will:

a) Connect a regular keyboard to your iPad, or
b) Get a laptop to work properly

iPads are toys. Unless you're in other industries or markets (hospitality, health care, inventory control, customer service, taxi driving, cable TV installation or repair, and more), tablets are not designed for desktop work, no matter what others say.

I almost forgot: if you use dictation software on your iPad, maybe, just maybe you can do without a keyboard.

I have more than 26 years of experience as a translator and I've used all sorts of hardware, keyboards and mice to do my work. And I'm writing this on a sturdy Dell full keyboard, using a large mouse, on a browser on my 15-inch MacBook Pro. Note: I'm traveling; I have better equipment at home.

Cheers!

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Connect My Mac Apr 4

More than 5 years ago, I tried Connect My Mac, in other words, use your Mac at home on your iPad.

Cheers,

Hans

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Local time: 01:05
Member (2016)
iPad Pro Apr 4

Mara Fernandez wrote:

I am an interpreter who's recently started to take small translations projects which i was working on using CafeTran in my MacBook Pro, however while traveling i do not pack my MacBook because its a very heavy (older) version and would love to know if there are any CAT tools that I can use on my iPad while away. So far, i have been looking for apps with no luck so would appreciate any information regarding the matter!

Wow, an iPad Pro ... congratulations!

I think no computer is lighter than an iPad Pro indeed:

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 09.49.26

I came up with two different approaches:

• On your MacBook Pro you use CafeTran to create a bilingual review table, that you can translate on your iPad Pro (e.g. with Word for iOS).
  • On your iPad Pro you install TeamViewer for iOS and you use this to log on to your MacBook Pro at home, running CafeTran. (I'm happy to explore this scenario, since I find it interesting too.)

Mara Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying Wordfast Apr 21

Hello everyone. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently trying out Wordfast in their web based version which you are able to acces from the iPad (even from the iPhone) and I have to say I truly appreciate the ease of being able to work on docs both from iPad and laptop without doing anything more than just logging in. I am however having problems with the TM and creation of glosaries when using the iPad, not sure if it's my account or that the iPad interface won't allow for editing of these.

I'll keep looking for other alternatives and keep everyone posted!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool for iPad Pro? Any that works on iOS?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs