Exporting Wordfast TM to Trados Workbench
Thread poster: NR_Stedman
NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:21
French to English
Jun 5, 2005

Wordfast 5 and Trados 6.5
I would like to import my wordfast TM (French French to English English) to Trados Workbench. According to the Wordfast Manual this is possible after first converting the Wordfast TM to the .tmx format. However on importing to Trados I get the message
"11613 TUs read O added 11613 invalid". Why? Many thanks for some rapid help.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
try the following , save in UTF-8 from Notepad Jun 5, 2005

Hi! Following solution works.
Wordfast => TMX
Open the translation memory, you want to export to TMX format in Wordfast.
Make sure that you have chosen TMX under Export TM and press Export TM.
AN IMPORTANT STEP DUE TO MS WORD’S SAVING OPTIONS
Open Notepad and choose File - Open… Find the exported TMX file and open it. Save the TMX file in Unicode by selecting File - Save as… choose Unicode tai UTF-8 (not ANSI) under Encoding. If this is not done, in most cases all units with ä or ö will not show correctly, and can’t thus be used in other applications.
Good luck,
Brandis

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried it but still get 11613 invalid TUs! many thanks anyway Jun 5, 2005

Brandis wrote:

Hi! Following solution works.
Wordfast => TMX
Open the translation memory, you want to export to TMX format in Wordfast.
Make sure that you have chosen TMX under Export TM and press Export TM.
AN IMPORTANT STEP DUE TO MS WORD’S SAVING OPTIONS
Open Notepad and choose File - Open… Find the exported TMX file and open it. Save the TMX file in Unicode by selecting File - Save as… choose Unicode tai UTF-8 (not ANSI) under Encoding. If this is not done, in most cases all units with ä or ö will not show correctly, and can’t thus be used in other applications.
Good luck,
Brandis

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:21
English to Spanish
Possible causes Jun 5, 2005

There are many possible causes and here are just the most usual ones:

1) Trados does not use an XML parser to read TMX files and rejects translation units when the format of the file isn't what it expects, even when the file is OK from XML point of view.

2) Wordfast usually generates TMX files that are invalid. I wrote an utility to check Wordfast TMX because I was tired of having problems with them.. You can get TMXValidator it at http://www.maxprograms.com . If the file is not valid, you will need an XML editor to fix it. Try XXE, free download from http://www.xmlmind.com

3) Wrong language settings. If the language codes used by Wordfast aren't the ones expected by Trados, you can't import them. Request a trial of Heartsome's TMX Editor at http://www.heartsome.net and use it to check language codes and adjust the languages as necessary.

4) Wrong encoding. Trados usually works with files in UTF-16, but can accept UTF-8 too. It uses the BOM (byte order mark) to select the encoding and your file may lack a BOM.

Hope this helps,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2005-06-05 17:06]

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Must be computer expert then to convert TM! Jun 5, 2005

Nicholas Stedman wrote:
I agree that it must be that Wordfast is not generating a valid TMX file though I couldn't test this as the TMXValidator software did not operate correctly after downloading. The solution to my problem seems a bit too complex for me though
as I am not a computer buff. It means though that I will not be able to make use of the hundreds of hours of work compiling wordfast TM on Trados. Thanks anyway and if someone has a simple solution!
Rodolfo Raya wrote:

There are many possible causes and here are just the most usual ones:

1) Trados does not use an XML parser to read TMX files and rejects translation units when the format of the file isn't what it expects, even when the file is OK from XML point of view.

2) Wordfast usually generates TMX files that are invalid. I wrote an utility to check Wordfast TMX because I was tired of having problems with them.. You can get TMXValidator it at http://www.maxprograms.com . If the file is not valid, you will need an XML editor to fix it. Try XXE, free download from http://www.xmlmind.com

3) Wrong language settings. If the language codes used by Wordfast aren't the ones expected by Trados, you can't import them. Request a trial of Heartsome's TMX Editor at http://www.heartsome.net and use it to check language codes and adjust the languages as necessary.

4) Wrong encoding. Trados usually works with files in UTF-16, but can accept UTF-8 too. It uses the BOM (byte order mark) to select the encoding and your file may lack a BOM.

Hope this helps,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2005-06-05 17:06]

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Language codes Jun 5, 2005

Hi,

my guess is that this is a problem with the language codes.

I don't know what language codes Trados uses, but you can find out by exporting it as txt or tmx and viewing in a simple editor.

Then check whether your Wordfast TM uses the exactly same codes (again, by opening in a simple editor). If these do not match, you will have to find&replace the language codes to match those of Trados.

HTH.

Sonja

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
The right answer! Jun 7, 2005

The code for English English is in fact EN-UK in Wordfast and EN-GB in Trados.
I have been able to load my wordfast TM into Trados by first converting to .tmx with Wordfast, opening the file and then finding and replacing the above language codes
Thanks for your help

quote]Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Hi,

my guess is that this is a problem with the language codes.

I don't know what language codes Trados uses, but you can find out by exporting it as txt or tmx and viewing in a simple editor.

Then check whether your Wordfast TM uses the exactly same codes (again, by opening in a simple editor). If these do not match, you will have to find&replace the language codes to match those of Trados.

HTH.

Sonja[/quote]

[Edited at 2005-06-07 16:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting Wordfast TM to Trados Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs